where to go 2017

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
webber

where to go 2017

Post by webber »

ive got about a month spare next summer so wondering where to go in the uk any suggestions i like travelling light and fast but also fully loaded and looking around maybe end to end with the 3 peaks on the way have thought about abroad but really fancy staying in the uk any help would be greatly appreciated
matt2matt2002

Re: where to go 2017

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Morocco.
3 hours or less by plane
Cheap ish
Speak French
No agro.
See you there in April
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Le-Jog, Cape Wrath - Kent, do the double? Round the coast? Round the coast of Ireland?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Home - End-to-End - Home, with the 3 peaks included!
borisface

Post by borisface »

You've got a month so why stay in the UK, which frankly has sh1t weather and about the worst roads for cycling in Europe? Why not get a flight somewhere like southern Italy, Spain or Portugal and cycle home?
hamish

Post by hamish »

Has the UK really got the worst roads for cycling in Europe? I love riding abroad but I'd say the UK has some superb touring roads. The lane network in Wales and the SW is brilliant and Scotland has some of the best riding I have ever done..... That's my opinion anyway. I could spend a month riding round The SW, up through Wales, ferry to Ireland, up to Ballycastle, catch the boat to Campbell Town, and explore the islands up to Oban, ferry to Barra, up the Western Isles and cross back to Ullapool or Uig, from where you can explore Assynt and beyond.....
borisface

Post by borisface »

hamish wrote:Has the UK really got the worst roads for cycling in Europe? I love riding abroad but I'd say the UK has some superb touring roads. The lane network in Wales and the SW is brilliant and Scotland has some of the best riding I have ever done..... That's my opinion anyway. I could spend a month riding round The SW, up through Wales, ferry to Ireland, up to Ballycastle, catch the boat to Campbell Town, and explore the islands up to Oban, ferry to Barra, up the Western Isles and cross back to Ullapool or Uig, from where you can explore Assynt and beyond.....

Probably more thinking of England TBH. Just so busy and places to stay pretty expensive compared to most of Europe. The weather is poor and motorists seem to hate us...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ireland and Northern Ireland coastal circumnavigation .. or .. Northern Ireland and Ireland end to end to end.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
webber

Post by webber »

hi all thanks for the reply's i like the idea of kent to cape wrath as i live in kent also ireland thinking about kent to cape wrath , jogle with 3 peaks , kent how many miles is that :lol: and of course staying on country roads :lol: did i mention its my 40th as well
pwa

Post by pwa »

Part of the pleasure of touring is making up your own route. But it is good to have a few pointers if you are going somewhere new. The established long distance routes (Way of the Roses, etc) can give you bits of route that you can stitch together with your own ideas. The Audax UK calendar of events gives you access to routes chosen by people with local knowledge, and from which you can pinch sections that are useful to you.

Ireland, for me, is a paradox. A lovely rural country with lovely people, but with mental drivers. I never feel totally relaxed cycling there.

The UK has loads of great places to cycle. The Yorkshire Dales is one of my favourite areas, though as with other locations you need to pick out the quietest roads where possible. There are cycling guidebooks out there. The flatter areas of Yorkshire give you some relief from the hills, and you have loads of interesting places to visit. Then there is the bleakness of the North York Moors, which can be a real test.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

40th ... so your just a boy then .... double end to end then .......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PH

Post by PH »

I’ve ridden all over the UK, not all of it strictly touring and some of the best rides have been in the most unlikely places. This country has a fantastic network of small roads, often quiet and reasonably maintained.
I’d just pick a theme of interest and join points together. Or the British Cycle Quest will take you round some interesting places and I'd have fun route finding to get the most from it. It also depends what sort of riding you want to do, At the extremes there’s the high mileage challenge sort of stuff, like a fast E2E, or the touristy tour where it’s about where you go rather than the cycling, of course there’s a thousand mixes between the two but my tours are usually one or the other. I like the idea of doing both, say an East to West as fast as possible, noting places of interest along the way, then at the end plan how to retrace the route visiting them. Whatever you do have a good time.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Maybe the top of Scotland, Sutherland, via a sleeper north, then over to Orkney for a visit.

But if I lived in south I'd be tempted to grab a ferry, pedal south, fly back from Nice after a month of cakes and quiet roads and a few big name mountains taken at a leisurely pace. Maybe you've done that too often or have other UK-favouring reasons but I can't imagine having too many of the gateaux and that brexit is around the corner, nice to get the most of the place before the paperwork increases.

Went to Wales this year. Nice in some aspects, but too few road options - busy A/B roads or little steep hedged lanes with tractors and sheepdogs and still nippy cars. France is just so handy from Kent too!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you are on the road by the end of a May you could stop off here for a few days
http://www.cyclinguk.org/local-groups/n ... km177-2017
KM Rally
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I continue to marvel at the tendency of some to totally ignore an OPs question.

This is supposed to be a forum of helpful advice ...............
Sweep