where to go 2017

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
irc

Re: where to go 2017

Post by irc »

Sweep wrote:I continue to marvel at the tendency of some to totally ignore an OPs question.

This is supposed to be a forum of helpful advice, not FB/twatter me me me

And your suggestion for a UK tour is?? :D

I'll suggest a combination of the Western Isles and the highlands.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Devon CTC included in a tour of the SW? Loads of Warmshowers hosts.

That said, I think you are missing a trick getting a boat over to Europe. If you are worried about cultural or linguistic 'shock' I can assure you that the NL is one of the easiest you'll come across. Pity their cycle infrastructure is so rubbish [emoji6]
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

Sweep wrote:I continue to marvel at the tendency of some to totally ignore an OPs question.

This is supposed to be a forum of helpful advice, not FB/twatter me me me

Fortunately we live in a society where people are allowed to speak freely.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Morocco.
3 hours or less by plane
Cheap ish
Speak French
No agro.
See you there in April

Hearing lots of good things about Morocco. The Atlas Mountains were high on my list but I moved it down after the problems with Terrorism in Tunisia and Egypt.

I think I need to put it back on the list

Any tips on staying safe, or is it a non-issue?
webber

Post by webber »

im off to germany for a couple of weeks latter in the year so just fancy seeing a bit more of the uk
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

webber wrote:im off to germany for a couple of weeks latter in the year so just fancy seeing a bit more of the uk

Well, the quietest and nicest roads, in my opinion, are in Scotland and there so so much to do. My favourite camping cycle tours have been in Scotland despite the weather and the midges. The Western Isles, Orkney, Shetland, NC 500; I had a great tour of the eastern coastline after changing plans completely because of the weather. After cycling from Fort William to Portree, the weather on the West Coast was appalling, so I cycled to Inverness and followed the coastline around to Edinburgh before cycling through Jedburgh and Alston down to Manchester.

I also go overseas when I can, but there are times when a good tour of the UK is good for the soul. I am going to make a start on the British Cycling Quest next year and hopefully see, enjoy and go camping in some different parts of the UK I've not experienced before.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

If you want to stay in the UK, I've done a lap of Scotland and Wales, both were great. I'd probably add in the Hebridise if you have the time
PH

Post by PH »

phil parker wrote: I am going to make a start on the British Cycling Quest next year and hopefully see, enjoy and go camping in some different parts of the UK I've not experienced before.

You'll enjoy it. I like the route planning, , I've seen bits of this country I wouldn't have otherwise.
I enjoy a foreign tour, but there's also something about getting to really know your own country and no better way than by bike.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Yes, in some ways it's similar to Munroe bagging or Geo Caching in terms of notching up the numbers, except that you can plan all the routes yourself to suit yourself, which I also enjoy. So, I intend to plan 50 - 70-mile routes (as a guideline) from a campsite to attain 2 - 3 answers. I can get most of Wiltshire from home, in 3 rides and 2 of Hampshire, but the others will also let me try some new camp sites and as there's no need to go fast, lots of quiet country roads to enjoy as much of the UK as I can!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

webber wrote:ive got about a month spare next summer so wondering where to go in the uk any suggestions i like travelling light and fast but also fully loaded and looking around maybe end to end with the 3 peaks on the way have thought about abroad but really fancy staying in the uk any help would be greatly appreciated

Read Mike Carter's One Man and His Bike if you haven't already. It's about his trip around the coast of mainly mainland Britain. It'll likely enthuse you and may well give you some ideas for a good month's trip.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes it's a wonderful book.

Will send a longer reply to this thread later - I did type one but it disappeared in the ether.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

also, I gather mr primrose, who sometimes pops on here, is working on a book about his recent travels around the UK.

If it's anything like his other books it will be excellent

and reassure anyone that there is lots to see in the UK.
Sweep
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

You can make up a very nice tour by back to backing the various coast to coast rides, e.g. Rievers Route amd Hadrian cycleway, C2C and Walney to Wear, Way of the Roses and Pennine Cycleway.

I would also recommend getting hold of the Sustrans UK map. This shows all the main routes and when you lay it out, you can see ways to link up a whole variety of rides.

Have fun!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I understand why people do E to Es but there are much nicer parts of our Island to enjoy. I agree with Phil the West coast of Scotland and the islands in April, May or September are magic. The views, uncrowded roads and not as hilly as you might imagine… If you can time it with some music festivals even better.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

What about one of the eurovelo routes?