Travel Insurance

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by mjr »

Slowroad wrote:
Have a look at CoverforYou.com They do 45 & 62 day cover including US. They also cover cycle touring as an optional extra. May need to give them a call as this option may not appear on their website if you use the quote generator

They might be the ones who say they cover cycle touring then in the policy say that medical expenses are not covered. In my book this means that cycle touring is not covered. So check the details.

I didn't even get that far. Coverforyou dictate headgear :-( Cover for you? Cover [rude word removed] you!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

www.ehicplus.com seem to cover cycling with few restrictions and including quite a few common medical conditons, as long as you have and use an EHIC. The best bet for the EU?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ollyrowe

Post by ollyrowe »

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning a year-long cycle tour, and I'm struggling to find insurance. Annual cycle insurance policies only seem cover trips of up-to 60 days. Also to make it more complicated, we are planning to cycle the Pamir Highway, which goes to an altitude of ~4500m.

Has anyone had any experience of getting insurance for a trip like this?

Cheers
mjr

Post by mjr »

ollyrowe wrote:Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm planning a year-long cycle tour, and I'm struggling to find insurance. Annual cycle insurance policies only seem cover trips of up-to 60 days. Also to make it more complicated, we are planning to cycle the Pamir Highway, which goes to an altitude of ~4500m.

Has anyone had any experience of getting insurance for a trip like this?

Not I. As mentioned above, I struggle getting cover for a week's tour! Have you checked the list of five recommendations on http://tomsbiketrip.com/cycle-touring-i ... endations/ mentioned earlier?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Most people who go on long tours don't have insurance. It's usually too expensive or too restrictive if available at all.

You do occasionally hear of someone getting it, but it's rare.

You could try looking for backpacker policies, but not sure what sort of cover they would give for cycling.
ollyrowe

Post by ollyrowe »

Thanks for the responses. I've found some options, starting at £500 for two of us for 18 months. That's with www.duinsure.com/ , it's a backpackers policy that allows cycle touring and trekking to 6500m, but while doing these activities you have no personal accident or liability cover. Trying to work out whether it is worth it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Got to ask what it actually covers you for then? Theft of your socks?
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Got to ask what it actually covers you for then? Theft of your socks?

Medical expenses, one would hope, but the lack of liability insurance would worry me.
CyclingTerrier

Post by CyclingTerrier »

So what's the crack with just getting normal travel insurance and hoping your bike doesn't get nicked?
mjr

Post by mjr »

CyclingTerrier wrote:So what's the crack with just getting normal travel insurance and hoping your bike doesn't get nicked?

That you end up with a huge bill if you crash or someone knocks you down, if your insurance excludes cycle touring or has a short trip length.
CyclingTerrier

Post by CyclingTerrier »

mjr wrote:
CyclingTerrier wrote:So what's the crack with just getting normal travel insurance and hoping your bike doesn't get nicked?

That you end up with a huge bill if you crash or someone knocks you down, if your insurance excludes cycle touring or has a short trip length.

Thought as much. Maybe I'm just a stingy bugger thinking 300 quid for 6 months is a bit pricey for peace of mind.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I take travel insurance that covers cycle touring. I do not take insurance for my cycle because the terms and conditions are too onerous. I take the risk just as I do in this country.
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:
I take travel insurance that covers cycle touring. I do not take insurance for my cycle because the terms and conditions are too onerous. I take the risk just as I do in this country.

Yes, but how long a tour can you do on it? I do similar and pay £30ish for a year for Europe, £70ish if I want Worldwide instead, but each trip must be a month or less... which is fine for most years.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mjr wrote:Yes, but how long a tour can you do on it? I do similar and pay £30ish for a year for Europe, £70ish if I want Worldwide instead, but each trip must be a month or less... which is fine for most years.
The longest I've been away is 28 days. Partly that is insurance related too - house insurance which usually has a clause that the house cannot be unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time.
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:
mjr wrote:Yes, but how long a tour can you do on it? I do similar and pay £30ish for a year for Europe, £70ish if I want Worldwide instead, but each trip must be a month or less... which is fine for most years.
The longest I've been away is 28 days. Partly that is insurance related too - house insurance which usually has a clause that the house cannot be unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time.

Yeah, similar. It seems a different and more expensive market if you do a long tour like ollyrowe.