Outer Hebrides Cycle Tour 2016

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rualexander

Re: Outer Hebrides Cycle Tour 2016

Post by rualexander »

philj wrote:hi , i am planning a trip with some friends next September. we are working our way slowly around the UK coast and intend to take ferries staying on Arran, then Tarbert , Islay (2 nights) , Oban , Tobermory , Oban (probably) and then the train back from Glasgow (we are in the London area) . Appreciate its a bit rushed but we only have a week and would like to cover a reasonable amount of ground . I am booking accommodation ahead . we don't know the area at all and while have taken some advice any guide as to things not to miss or routes to take would be very much appreciated

You're not going to the outer Hebrides then so maybe you've put this in the wrong thread.
philj

Post by philj »

Yes thanks you quite right I was replying to general conversation and should have posted to a wider audience
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

gloomyandy wrote:... Personally I tend to drive up and leave my car either at Oban or on Skye and then do some sort of circular tour...

Hi there,

planning on getting some hebridean and western scotland quest points next year. ferry from Oban, riding north, ferry from Stornaway to Ullapool, riding south back to Oban.

My concern is leaving the car in Oban for perhaps 14 days. I've seen some mention of unlimited free car parking on Oban but tourist information website mentions 3 days maximum for the paid car parks.

can you shed some light on this for me please? Where do you park, for how long and what does it cost?

many thanks.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

andrewjoseph wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:... Personally I tend to drive up and leave my car either at Oban or on Skye and then do some sort of circular tour...

------ My concern is leaving the car in Oban for perhaps 14 days. I've seen some mention of unlimited free car parking on Oban but tourist information website mentions 3 days maximum for the paid car parks.

can you shed some light on this for me please? Where do you park, for how long and what does it cost?

many thanks.

A recent thread
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Norman H wrote:
andrewjoseph wrote:

------ My concern is leaving the car in Oban for perhaps 14 days. I've seen some mention of unlimited free car parking on Oban but tourist information website mentions 3 days maximum for the paid car parks.

many thanks.

A recent thread

Thanks, I have read that, but no-one is giving a definitive answer to 14 days.
--
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

You can park freely on the seafront road along past the Youth Hostel.
Done it many times, for two weeks, no problems.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I know that in the past people have used various free car parks for a week or more but it's probably best to contact the tourist office for a definitive explanation of the rules relating to both free and paid for public parking.

In the past rules were not religiously enforced, but as Scotland becomes busier there is no guarantee that this will continue to be the case. As far as I know the paid for private car parking, mentioned in the thread that I linked to, is not subject to time restraints. I've only ever used the dive centre, on one occasion for close to 4 weeks.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Norman, that's great info. thank you.
--
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

just had this from tourist information:

"There is a free long stay car park situated on Longsdale road beside the Atlantis leisure centre, there is no limit on the amount of time you can leave your vehicle and we find it's where the majority of folk heading to the island choose to leave their car. From the car park it would be a short 5 minute cycle to the ferry terminal."
--
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Good result!

I was advised to use various free car parks including the one at the leisure centre and also Tesco's. With three of us sharing the cost I thought £3.50 a day at the dive centre was good value for peace of mind.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

As I said on the other thread I've always parked on the road near the Seafood Temple, there are houses overlooking but your car is not in anyone's way. Left it there a few times now and it has been fine. I did look at the sports centre parking but decided that looked less secure than simply on the road, but who knows. My car is not particularly nickable though (a Fiat Panda) and the way I leave it, it is obvious that there is nothing in the boot etc. If I was to use the campsite I would probably leave it there, but I've always arrived too late (and left too early) to be able to use it!

I have also left my car in the long term parking at Mallaig, but that has a stated limit of 7 days (no idea if it is enforced) and at Uig (isle of Skye) for a couple of weeks with no problem.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

thanks for the info.

after discovering that there are no ferries from oban to lochboisdale during the summer, we need to change plans. :x

Looking at Mallaig now.
--
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Parking at Mallaig is very easy (and free), but there are notices saying it is limited to 7 days. No idea if this is enforced though. I left a car there for 7 days last year with no issue. There are a lot of campsites a few miles from Mallaig which perhaps will allow you to leave a car/van there for longer than 7 days? I think that would be my first option. I suppose a call to the tourist information might give you information on if the 7 day limit is enforced (or even if it is enforceable, often these things aren't). I'd be interested to find out what you decide on.

Oh one thing to be aware of is that last year a number of the sailings to/from Mallaig did not happen because in some tide/wind conditions the ferry they used could not get into the harbour. I think that instead it went to/from Skye, but there was obviously a delay. No idea if there will be similar issues this year, but it is probably a good idea to have any sailing days be pretty flexible.

The other thing is that last year the times of sailings was pretty poor. With a late arrival (after 9:00pm) and an early departure (around 7:00am) from Lochboisdale. This may be fine if you plan to stay in Lochboisdale (though you may miss your evening meal or breakfast), but if not you may need lights (I was staying at Howmore and needed them both ways). If you are camping there are a few places around Lochboisedale to wild camp.

I really like the sailings from Mallaig as it opens up a few more options (I've used them for two different trips now), but the timing is not ideal. The locals did not seem to like them much either.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Were you planning to visit Barra and Vatersay? In which case the Castlebay service from Oban would be an alternative. Both islands are well worth exploring.

As Andy mentions there is good long stay parking in Mallaig. It's on the eastern side of the harbour opposite the pier. Andy's experience is more recent than mine but from memory, when I parked there about 15 years ago, I was away for more than 7 days.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in responding.

thought about the oban to castlebay but as we are concentrating on Quest Points on the islands and mainland west coast, castlebay would extend the trip for no benefit.

As far as I can see, there is no Tourist information centre based at mallaig and have had no reply from other places i've tried so far.

ferry times are a problem so may book B&B's so not trying to camp late at night.
--