M2M Rhone Velo to the Loire Velo Help Needed Please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thegreatpan

M2M Rhone Velo to the Loire Velo Help Needed Please

Post by thegreatpan »

This summer myself and a couple of riders from my club wish to ride a M2M from Montpellier to Dieppe.

We are riding unsupported on standard touring cycles and none of us are natural climbers, so our route is following the already established major river velo routes of the Rhone and the Loire and finishing on the Avenue Verte.

Generally there are no issues with the routing apart from the day we go from the Rhone Valley to the Loire Valley, we would appreciate any guidance from forum users who know of a good route or who have traveled this route before.

Many Thanks
bikepacker

Re: M2M Rhone Velo to the Loire Velo Help Needed Please

Post by bikepacker »

Although it is not the question you are asking, the Rhone cyclepath is a little iffy in parts. In 2015 my wife and I intended following it south from Vienne but gave up after Valence. We lost the path many times due to bad or no signage and got tired of the long detours the path made. In just over one day cycling we met four other cyclists who were trying to find the correct route.

Going the opposite way to you, I have roughly followed the Loire from Tours to Le Puy-en-Velay then onto Montpellier by way of the Cevennes. Some of the Gorges and Scenery in this part is stunning; yes there are some climbs but all well graded.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

+1 for the Rhone cycle path not being that great. I rode from Valence to Vienne, and from memory I stuck to the road up the west side, which was quiet and pleasant.
I rode Lyon-Dieppe a couple of years ago, nice ride. My route was (IIRC) Dardilly (campsite outside Lyon)/St-Nizier-d'Azergues/Cours-la-Ville/Charlieu. Then down the Loire to Jargeau, take a right to Chartres, Vernon, Dieppe.
My recollection is of a long steady climb out of Lyon to St-Nizier (maybe 5-600m climb?), then up and down a bit to Cours-la-Ville, then downhill all the way. Nice countryside, quiet roads. Have fun!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Another route, that my sister did a few years ago, would be to go up the Saone as far as Belleville, then up to Beaujeu, Les Echarmeaux, Chauffailles, and Charlieu. Might involve slightly less climbing.
thegreatpan

Post by thegreatpan »

Thanks for the replies. Flight booked, now the route planning starts