Hebridian Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Hebridian Way

Post by mnichols »

Hi does anyone have the GPX or TCX route files for the Hebridian Way, or similar? Ideally need a circular route that starts and finishes at a ferry port, or a way back to the start line with a bike

I've been on the official website http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/way-finder/hebridean-cycle-way-route-map-vatersay-to-ardmhor-wf781, but can't get the route files into ridewithgps, or mapmyride - both come up with an error
Last edited by mnichols on 26 Jan 2017, 8:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Re: Hebridian Way - GPX files?

Post by hamster »

Honestly, there are so few roads it's hard to get lost!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

hamster wrote:Honestly, there are so few roads it's hard to get lost!

My sense of direction is legendary....but not in a good way

I'll have a go at plotting something myself, but just thought that someone might have a file for the Hebredian Way

Silly question, but is it circular, or end to end, and if the latter is there an easy way to get back to the start other than cycling?
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's end to end from Barra to the Butt of Lewis. Entry and exit points are limited: ferry to Lochboisdale on S.Uist or Castlebay on Barra, off at the other end from Stornoway with a ferry from N.Uist onto Harris.

The Uists essentially have only two north-south routes each - one bimbling along the Atlantic coast and a more direct one down the middle. Have a look at Google Maps and you'll get the picture. Routes on the east side are rare, the exception being the moonscape route on Harris (it always used to be marked C79, not sure if that's still the name).
PH

Post by PH »

Is it the route marked a 780 on cycle travel?
http://cycle.travel/map
Shouldn't take you long to create a track from that, it tends to use the cycle routes anyway.
I think I've ridden all of it without realising it was a NCN route, as has already been said, there are not a lot of options. IMO it misses some of the best roads, though they have to be ridden there and back.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

mnichols wrote:Hi does anyone have the GPX or TCX route files for the Hebridian Way, or similar? Ideally need a circular route that starts and finishes at a ferry port, or a way back to the start line with a bike

I've been on the official website http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/way-finder/hebridean-cycle-way-route-map-vatersay-to-ardmhor-wf781, but can't get the route files into ridewithgps, or mapmyride - both come up with an error

I'm thinking of doing this in April.
I contacted the official site since the Gpx route didn't download.
I received a response and the lady said that her tech support folk could get it to work.
I resent the error messages.i was receiving but haven't heard back.
I use Chrome but maybe Firefox or another would work?

I had a similar problem with downloading Geocash coordinates. Didn't work on Chrome but ok on explorer.

I'm no expert though.

When are you thinking of going?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

As others have said there aren't that many roads. The OS 1:250K map is perfectly adequate and the Cicerone guide Cycling The Hebbrides by Richard Barrett would also be very useful.

Vatersay to the Butt of Lewis makes sense if it's your first visit to the Hebrides but you will almost certainly finish with a desire to return and investigate some of the lateral branches which mostly lead nowhere but some beautiful beach or idyllic sheltered bay. If you have time try to include one or two of them in your end to end itinerary. I can recommend the road out to Husinis and the Gatliffe Trust hostel at Rhenigidale but there are many more. The road out to Mealasta via Gleann Bhaltos in the west of Lewis is quite a trek but is well worth the effort and I can recommend the campsite amongst the dunes at Cnip if you don't want to go there and back in a single day.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I have done part of it - and yes - I want to return.
I cycled down from Stornoway to Leverburgh.
A couple of big hills in the way - but great views.
I wanted to take a boat to St. Kilda and waited 4 days in Leverburgh for the sea swell to die down - but it didn't.
Very frustrating since the day before I arrived - boats had been out to the island and folk can back sun burnt!
I was on my Scottish End2End so had to push on - via Skye to Mull of Galloway. I had started in Shetland.

Nice folk and great scenery.
Go for it.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Ok, so I've plotted a route from Barra to the Lighthouse near Port of Ness. I'm limited for time, I don't want to just reverse my route and cycle back, so is there any transport options to get you back to the start?

Alternatively, any transport options for getting a bike from Ullapool to Oban? I know I could cycle it, but I'm back a few weeks later doing many of the same roads on an LEJOG, and I did many of them on an extended version of North Coast 500 last year, plus on a previous LEJOG, so I rather not cycle Ullapool to Oban. I rather wait and do them on the LEJOG a few weeks later.

My preferred plan is to drive to either Oban or Ullapool (whichever has the shortest ferry) leave the car, cycle E2E and get a lift back to the ferry. Plan B would be to reverse the route, but is there a way of getting me and the bike back to the start?
PH

Post by PH »

You used to be able to take a bike on the buses, but I remember reading that they'd stopped doing it last year, though I can't remember if that was all the buses. Might be worth looking into.
There's a bus and trailer service from Ullapool to Inverness and of course a train from there to Oban, but it's probably no quicker than cycling.
If you wanted to ride back but not repeat too much of your route, you could cross to Skye from Tarbert, ride through Skye, train from Mallaig or ride down to Ardnamurchen, ferry to Mull, short ride in Mull, ferry back to Oban. I did this a few years ago though on that trip I didn't go further north than Tarbert
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

PH wrote:You used to be able to take a bike on the buses, but I remember reading that they'd stopped doing it last year, though I can't remember if that was all the buses. Might be worth looking into.
There's a bus and trailer service from Ullapool to Inverness and of course a train from there to Oban, but it's probably no quicker than cycling.
If you wanted to ride back but not repeat too much of your route, you could cross to Skye from Tarbert, ride through Skye, train from Mallaig or ride down to Ardnamurchen, ferry to Mull, short ride in Mull, ferry back to Oban. I did this a few years ago though on that trip I didn't go further north than Tarbert

There isn't a direct train from Inverness to Oban. You need to go via Perth and Glasgow. Usually 2 changes.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PH

Post by PH »

bogmyrtle wrote:There isn't a direct train from Inverness to Oban. You need to go via Perth and Glasgow. Usually 2 changes.

I did it last year and just changed in Glasgow, it was no big deal other than taking half the day. Camped in Inverness at a sports center a short walk from the town.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another alternative is to cycle from Ullapool to Garve and take the train to Kyle of Lochalsh. Cycle on from there to Mallaig via Skye and either cycle all the way to Oban, by whatever route you fancy, or make use of the train to Fort William. I would favour the route via Mull as PH suggests (An alternative to Ardnamurchan is to go via Strontian and use the Lochaline ferry.)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'd second the the route via Ardnamurchan and Mull, a lovely (though hilly) route. The only slight problem is having to ride through Skye which can be on pretty busy roads these days. One possibility would be to head down to Lochboisdale and get the ferry from there to Mallaig, you could use the Golden road through Harris and the eastern loop through N. Uist to avoid riding the same roads. If you like ferry journeys (I do!) you could even jump on the ferry at Tarbert and then continue on the Uig to Lochmaddy sailing before riding down through North and South Uist to pick up the ferry at Lochboisdale.

I'd also recommend the coastal route from Ullapool down to Mallaig via Skye, it's a lovely route though very hilly (especially if you go via Applecross). Lots of options!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

What I did was to cycle from Ullapool to Inverness, I stayed at the campsite in Beauly, but you could also stay at the campsite by the Leisure Centre in Inverness. Then cycled down to Fort William and got the train from there only 2 extra days of cycling or one and half if you set off early enough!

As for Gpx. files, whilst I may still have them, I meandered around a bit to visit some sites, but it shouldn't take you more than half an hour on a site like BikeHike and then you can plot to your exact requirements.