Any tips for touring on the cheap?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Brains

Re: Any tips for touring on the cheap?

Post by Brains »

One thing to be aware of when wild camping in France is the "7 a 7" rule

If you are wild camping, do not put up your tent before 7apm and take it down before 7am.

In some places you will notices to this effect, and if your are camping in the national parks they will move you on at 7am (I have experience of this!)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

As many on here have said, France is a cracking place to tour on the cheap. Stick to municipal sites and you'll get hot showers and comfort for 5 Euro a night - other than that there's no reason why you should spend more on food than if you stayed at home. Factor in that you'll be saving water/electricity/travel costs at home and you may even find it's cheaper to be on holiday than staying at home;-) This may be of some help - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... -to-diy-it and feel free to email for free help...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
ossie

Post by ossie »

I would do your old bike up....

Mileage is easy peasy when touring...if you eat out of supermarkets its as cheap as chips, as is camping in most places...

The expensive bits are the transport over there ie ferry etc...
raaab

Post by raaab »

Spadger wrote:I'm also interested in butterfly handlebars, as the flat bars I have at the moment tend to strain the old wrists on longer rides.

I would recommend some alternative hand positions, like a butterfly bar or something else. After a few long days alternative positions are a real treat. I have not used a butterfly bar before but having drop bars give a number of options and I find I changing position relieves strain
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

raaab wrote:
Spadger wrote:I'm also interested in butterfly handlebars, as the flat bars I have at the moment tend to strain the old wrists on longer rides.

I would recommend some alternative hand positions, like a butterfly bar or something else. After a few long days alternative positions are a real treat. I have not used a butterfly bar before but having drop bars give a number of options and I find I changing position relieves strain

^^^^ This
Also if you have straight (as in 'really' straight) bars as with so many MTB's then they are killers. Any bar that rotates the wrist a little towards you will help, but as above, being able to vary your grip is key.

If you totally relax your hand and just hold your hand out as if to shake hands you'll find that in most cases you hand will rest thumb up and your fingers slightly open almost in a 'pistol' grip. This is exactly the position you'll have on the top bend of drop handlebars and for most is the most natural Very few bar forms other than drops will replicate this...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Any particular reason straight bars are a problem breton?

I'm sure most of my flat bar bikes have essentially straight bars.

Also, that "pistol grip" you advocate - isn't that very similar to the grip you would have on bar ends? All my bikes, all flat bar, have bar ends and the touring type ones particularly long bar ends. When cruising I spend most of my time on the bar ends - wrists straight.
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:Any particular reason straight bars are a problem breton?

Also, that "pistol grip" you advocate - isn't that very similar to the grip you would have on bar ends? All my bikes, all flat bar, have bar ends and the touring type ones particularly long bar ends. When cruising I spend most of my time on the bar ends - wrists straight.

If the bars are flat your wrists are rotated outwards so that more weight is on the weaker, outer part of the hand (little finger etc) than on the 'ball' pf the hand, and the wrist doesn't line up with the force going down the arm. It's a matter of only 5 degrees or so but most people (and these things are always personal) find that uncomfortable when just resting weight on the bars (as when pottering).

Yes bar-ends do give a similar position tend to cock the wrist 'up' (careful how you say that) but with drops the curve down is right under the 'grip' of your hand and the curve follows it. some bar ends get close especially if you fit them the 'wrong-way-round' so that the end curves away from you rather than towards you.

But in the end it's all very very personal - there's no perfect position for everyone just like there's no perfect saddle.
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Morzedec wrote:
Quite seriously, if your friend cannot get time to put some miles in before setting out then don't take her - a ride of a thousand miles (and more) is quite normal for many of us, but setting out to cover this sort of distance without the correct preparation is just plain daft. The ride ought to be fun, but it's not just a 'jolly', and for a novice the first couple of days might be really tough so be mentally prepared for some pain.

I'm not saying that you should not do the ride, but am saying that if you are not used to the distance then be completely prepared.

regards,

France is not flat .......jpg

Cheers,
I'll have to check out that link next time I get on the old PC - perhaps note down some good looking ones on my map.
Melon is good shout, just the thought of a juicy melon after a long days cycling is making my mouth water!

Oh, she can definitely do it!
She cycles as much as me, does twice as much hot yoga & works in a brewery. Which is a rather physical job - and doesn't include as much beer drinking as it should :)
On that pint though, i must get out for a few camping trips up the downs to make sure all the kits still working.
Spadger

Post by Spadger »

Bar ends are something I've been considering seriously -
Their so much cheaper than replacing all the bits & bobs to get drop or butterfly hanlebar.
Can you recommend any good makes of bar ends?
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Spadger wrote:

Bar ends are something I've been considering seriously -
Their so much cheaper than replacing all the bits & bobs to get drop or butterfly hanlebar.
Can you recommend any good makes of bar ends?

No specific recommendations, but I'd look for a pair that have a curve and where the 'stub' can be rotated so that the curve can point in different directions - then just set them to the most comfortable angle to fit your hand. You'll find it's often quite different to the angle you'd choose for serious off-road cycling.
meic

Post by meic »

I sometimes consider that I may have been better off sticking some "aero-bars" on my straights instead of going to butterflies.
You can spend many long hours grinding along into a head wind, you can do that reasonably safely on some aero-bars. Butterflies can be pretty unaerodynamic.

I have no ideas of what makes a good aero-bar but this gives you an idea of the sort of thing if you are totally unfamiliar.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBPXAABC/p ... n-aero-bar
As it is I do my challenging rides on a bike with drop bars rather than my bike with butterflies, because they are more aerodynamic.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

??
You're advocating touring with aero bars?
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

Possibly not a good idea. When I was exposed to the idea of aerobars on straight I was not thinking about a well loaded bike. I have never tried aerobars myself. I have met people who were doing this, though I dont remember how loaded they were and quite liked the idea.

Here are some who have tried it.
http://forums.adventurecycling.org/inde ... pic=8092.0
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so thats what aero bars are. hmm looks like for racing and back aching and stomach hurting if you a bit of fat there :lol:
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I've found ergon gp5 bar ends very comfy