Puttgarden - Rodby ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ukdodger

Puttgarden - Rodby ferry

Post by ukdodger »

Anyone tried getting between these two with a bike. So far all the ferries I've found dont take bikes. Cars, lorries, M/Cs, caravans yes. Just not bikes. Amazing.
foxyrider

Re: Puttgarden - Rodby ferry

Post by foxyrider »

Not used that one but I have used Rostock/Gedser and a good selection of internal Danish ferries and never had any issue. You might not be able to book a bike in advance, it might even go free but I doubt you'll actually have any problem.
You could of course just email the operator and ask them?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

foxyrider wrote:Not used that one but I have used Rostock/Gedser and a good selection of internal Danish ferries and never had any issue. You might not be able to book a bike in advance, it might even go free but I doubt you'll actually have any problem.
You could of course just email the operator and ask them?

Thanks I have but chances are they wont reply until Mon. Scandlines actually say they dont takes bikes. If it's a dud I'll have to rearrange my tour. Bummer.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just looked on Scandlines website - bicycles are listed on that crossing at 6 euros single fair.

Go to Scanlines.com, select the crossing, next page scroll down to below cars and the link takes you to prices for m/bikes, bikes, trailers etc. You can book from there too.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

foxyrider wrote:Just looked on Scandlines website - bicycles are listed on that crossing at 6 euros single fair.

Go to Scanlines.com, select the crossing, next page scroll down to below cars and the link takes you to prices for m/bikes, bikes, trailers etc. You can book from there too.

What page are you on? I see no 6E. Selecting bike just leads to a page asking for a time and whatever time you choose you just return to the same page.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

My son took his bike on that ferry in August. He just turned up without booking. If going to Sweden you can get a joint ticket for the helsingor helsinborg ferry at a saving.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pete75 wrote:My son took his bike on that ferry in August. He just turned up without booking. If going to Sweden you can get a joint ticket for the helsingor helsinborg ferry at a saving.

Thanks. I eventually got a ticket by Scandlines phoning me after I complained that their site wasnt working. They do take bikes but Direct Ferries who act as their agent wrongly state on their site that they dont. Result - happiness.
Nigelrojo

Post by Nigelrojo »

I went Puttgarden - Rodby with my bike back in June last year. I just turned up, about 9:00 in the morning, bought a ticket and went straight on. No queue, the ferries run regularly, and it takes 45 minutes. It was a large, cross-channel type of ferry.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Nigelrojo wrote:I went Puttgarden - Rodby with my bike back in June last year. I just turned up, about 9:00 in the morning, bought a ticket and went straight on. No queue, the ferries run regularly, and it takes 45 minutes. It was a large, cross-channel type of ferry.

I thought of that but I didnt want to cycle 400m only to be turned away. I like to be sure. :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ukdodger wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Just looked on Scandlines website - bicycles are listed on that crossing at 6 euros single fair.

What page are you on? I see no 6E. Selecting bike just leads to a page asking for a time and whatever time you choose you just return to the same page.

You should've gone directly to the Scandlines.com website and not some third party!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

foxyrider wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

You should've gone directly to the Scandlines.com website and not some third party!

I did but their site didnt work at the time.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

What currency is best to use in Denmark Euro or Krona? They apparently use both.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ukdodger wrote:What currency is best to use in Denmark Euro or Krona? They apparently use both.

I've never seen anywhere except the ferry across taking euros. You will need Krona for any non plastic purchases.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

foxyrider wrote:
ukdodger wrote:What currency is best to use in Denmark Euro or Krona? They apparently use both.

I've never seen anywhere except the ferry across taking euros. You will need Krona for any non plastic purchases.

Thanks.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ukdodger wrote:
Nigelrojo wrote:I went Puttgarden - Rodby with my bike back in June last year. I just turned up, about 9:00 in the morning, bought a ticket and went straight on. No queue, the ferries run regularly, and it takes 45 minutes. It was a large, cross-channel type of ferry.

I thought of that but I didnt want to cycle 400m only to be turned away. I like to be sure. :D

400 metres? Sorry, I guess your mean miles :wink:

There is a plan to build a rail/road tunnel between Puttgarden & Rodby, Denmark is keen but Deutschland is not so enthusiastic and there is a lot of opposition to the planned rail upgrade with hundreds of noisy goods trains daily
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies