East Anglia to London - Know a Good Route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bohrsatom

Re: East Anglia to London - Know a Good Route?

Post by bohrsatom »

I have a foolproof, many times tested, ride from the M25 into Central London on reasonably quiet roads and segregated cycle tracks (mostly Cycle Superhighway 3). It's not going to get an entry in a book of rides to do before you die but does the job of getting you to your destination. So if you can find a way to get there from Bury St Edmonds then Bob's your uncle.

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/33780

Not sure when you are planning your trip but the country road section from the M25 to Rainham isn't lit so needs good lights.
Rickenbacker_Al

Post by Rickenbacker_Al »

simonhill wrote:It might help if you say: what bikes; rough speed (a day or two?); what sort of roads; how you want to navigate; happy to use trains or tube; etc

I've ridden much of that area on day rides, but it's been slow progress as I use 1:50,00 OS maps and lots of stopping to check. The less stopping normally means bigger roads, which are the most direct route.

You can borrow OS maps from your local library to save buying.

Hi Simon

We will be riding a mixture of road and mountain bikes, will be doing the trip into London over two days (with train trip back) and, like you, will use maps and frequent check stops.

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far - some REALLY helpful stuff here!

Alan
GPC

Post by GPC »

robgul wrote:From Bury you could follow the Dun Run route the other way?

Rob

The Dunwich Dynamo route is not a nice route to follow at all during daytime, narrow roads and very heavily traffiked
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Two days, that means you have an overnight stop. That should be an important part of your route.

Also, what day are you getting to London. If a weekend you can use the allowed sections of the tube all day, which could have you heading for Epping on the District line.

You can follow small roads all the way from B St E. Roughly, Clare, Steeple Bumpstead, Finchinfield, Great Dunmow, Rodings, Fyfield, Ongar, Epping.

Similar route if heading for Lee Valley to cycle into London, but head further west after crossing A120, Go Takely and past Stanstead.

If midweek and you fancy a train for last bit, most trains allow you to go to London all afternoon ie against the flow. Just pick a station into Liverpool Street

This is only a guide and you'll have to work out exact roads as I am on tour at the moment and don't have access to all my maps, etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simonhill wrote:Two days, that means you have an overnight stop. That should be an important part of your route.

Also, what day are you getting to London. If a weekend you can use the allowed sections of the tube all day, which could have you heading for Epping on the District line.

You can follow small roads all the way from B St E. Roughly, Clare, Steeple Bumpstead, Finchinfield, Great Dunmow, Rodings, Fyfield, Ongar, Epping.

Similar route if heading for Lee Valley to cycle into London, but head further west after crossing A120, Go Takely and past Stanstead.

If midweek and you fancy a train for last bit, most trains allow you to go to London all afternoon ie against the flow. Just pick a station into Liverpool Street

This is only a guide and you'll have to work out exact roads as I am on tour at the moment and don't have access to all my maps, etc.

look at the map I attachded , there is a section that you cant take bikes on.District line a real shame

I have been thru those places prob the same route, used to part ofthe route I took to get to Lowestoft on my MC, the scenic route rather than A12. very pleasant but not completely flat
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My experience of using the tube is that you are only stopped when boarding at a banned station. Once on you are OK. Best to be safe, though.

Sorry, I didn't check the map. Internet V slow here.

I was going to add that I have never ridden right into London, always got train or tube, so you'll have to look elsewhere for info on that.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:My experience of using the tube is that you are only stopped when boarding at a banned station. Once on you are OK. Best to be safe, though.

That's a good interesting point simon. For once you are down there I don't suppose there is much they can do. I think i would avoid pulling that one though - a bit irresponsible possibly in these days when rapid evacuation might be needed.

Oh for the innocent student days when two of us confidently transported a large second hand table on the victoria line. Actually we did it with two separate tables. Never progressed to a wardrobe though.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:Also, what day are you getting to London. If a weekend you can use the allowed sections of the tube all day, which could have you heading for Epping on the District line.

Epping is Central line, so you're not allowed on the central tubed section (between Leyton and White City according to the map linked by mercalia) and it doesn't connect to any other line, although Leyton-Stratford stations is only 2km. The District line is from Upminster, mentioned earlier.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ooooooops, sorry, Epping is on the Central Line. Too much sun!

I'd risk it on my own, but the Tube is probably not a good idea if there's a bunch of you.