Outer Hebrides MTB

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dr s

Outer Hebrides MTB

Post by Dr s »

Looking at spending a week up here with the MTB's exploring and seeing the sights.

Can anyone recommend any particular spots or rides? Not looking for technical challenge, home in the lakes gives enough of that, just a good adventure and some wild spots.
gloomyandy

Re: Outer Hebrides MTB

Post by gloomyandy »

Lots of interesting spots, tracks and quite lanes along the west coast of South Uist. There is the Usinish Bothy but I'm not sure how possible that is on a bike. Maybe try crossing to Vallay island (off N. Uist). If you are feeling brave try the postman's track to Rhenigidale from near Tarbert. I'm sure there are some interesting routes in the Harris Hills and the area South of Uig on Lewis looked to have some interesting tracks when I stayed there last year. This TV program from BBC Alba following two female mountain bikers (think they may live on S Uist), north through the islands. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vmxcd would be worth seeing if you can find it anywhere!

Have fun!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Oh and if this is your first visit to the Hebrides then have a look around for other threads on here, for general places to visit. They really are a special place to spend some time!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

gloomyandy wrote: If you are feeling brave try the postman's track to Rhenigidale from near Tarbert.

The last time we stayed at Rhenigidale there was a lone female mountain biker who had travelled that way. In 2015 I walked it and I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to attempt it on a bike. That said, the road in from Tarbert isn't exactly easy.

I also walked the track up Gleann Mhiabhaigh, from the Huisinis road, past the eagle observatory. The track ends at Loch Bhoisimid with only a path beyond. So you would have to return by the same track.