cycling from england to asia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: cycling from england to asia

Post by Psamathe »

molzor wrote:thanks for the replies. As i suspected, I may need to get some new heavyweight wheels and fit some bigger tyres....

If you are on a Croix de Fer with 32 tyres, can you go for bigger tyres and still have mudguards (if you are using mudguards). My 2014 Croix de Fer came with 35 tyres and the LBS had to change those to 32 tyres to safely fit mudguards (they could have fitted the mudguards with the 35 but said the clearance was way inadequate. Even with my 32s fitted, mudguards only just get 6mm clearance. Rear is fine, it's just the front that is a bit tight.

Or maybe you have different forks.

Ian
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

you could play safe and buy a 26 inch wheeled tourer - this is a bargain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Exp-Exp ... SwtpZYSEue

ebay often has used thorns, they fetch good prices. cycling forums have many tales of those who suffer 700c wheel problems enduring vast grief trying to get them fixed. I'm a 26 inch fan. But you might have guessed that.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

MartinBrice wrote:you could play safe and buy a 26 inch wheeled tourer - this is a bargain:

That's a good price, if it's fully sorted and expedition ready. I have one and it's bomb proof, but I have spent a lot of money on it to hopefully avoid cheap parts failing.
molzor

Post by molzor »

Psamathe wrote:
molzor wrote:thanks for the replies. As i suspected, I may need to get some new heavyweight wheels and fit some bigger tyres....

If you are on a Croix de Fer with 32 tyres, can you go for bigger tyres and still have mudguards (if you are using mudguards). My 2014 Croix de Fer came with 35 tyres and the LBS had to change those to 32 tyres to safely fit mudguards (they could have fitted the mudguards with the 35 but said the clearance was way inadequate. Even with my 32s fitted, mudguards only just get 6mm clearance. Rear is fine, it's just the front that is a bit tight.

Or maybe you have different forks.

Ian

mines a 2016 croix de fer. it seems to have improved clearances over previous models. ive heard rumours of 42mm with mudguards, but that sounds like it might be a stretch. i reckon i can comortably get a 42mm without guards.

ill probably use the tyres ive got with mudguards for this side of europe. theyve only done about 500 miles. ill take some wider tyres with me, when those tyres wear out. ill stick some bigger ones on, maybe a 40mm.
Last edited by molzor on 28 Feb 2017, 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
molzor

Post by molzor »

MartinBrice wrote:you could play safe and buy a 26 inch wheeled tourer - this is a bargain:

ebay often has used thorns, they fetch good prices. cycling forums have many tales of those who suffer 700c wheel problems enduring vast grief trying to get them fixed. I'm a 26 inch fan. But you might have guessed that.

that looks perfect for what im doing. but it is £995. a good price for what it is. but im not rich. im not sure im willing to put that down when i just bought the croix de fer.

ive more or less decided to just stick with what ive got. with the possibilty of some super strong wheels.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Hope your plans are going well.
I have just ordered a KOGA with 700 wheels for my upcoming around the world cycle, and I'm not worried one bit. Years ago there was only really 26" available easily, but not anymore. KOGO don't even make a 26" wheel anymore for their Worldtraveller.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:I'm a 26" diehard, but that's also what I've got. So new bike not an issue.

While 26ers are definitely more widely available, no one ever mentions valves. tc.

Anyone else got anything to say on the valve issue? When i bought my Hewitt tourer I didn't give this any thought and the sputniks are drilled for presta. I later wondered if this was a mistake. Not an issue in the UK of course but further afield?

I assume the best solution is to have rims drilled for schrader with the plastic adaptors/grommits or whatever they are called for Presta?
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Sweep wrote:
simonhill wrote:I'm a 26" diehard, but that's also what I've got. So new bike not an issue.

While 26ers are definitely more widely available, no one ever mentions valves. tc.

Anyone else got anything to say on the valve issue? When i bought my Hewitt tourer I didn't give this any thought and the sputniks are drilled for presta. I later wondered if this was a mistake. Not an issue in the UK of course but further afield?

I assume the best solution is to have rims drilled for schrader with the plastic adaptors/grommits or whatever they are called for Presta?

Good point. But I bought an adapter for presets to Schrader. £2 approx.
Edinburgh cycles.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

Good point. But I bought an adapter for presets to Schrader. £2 approx.
Edinburgh cycles.

Maybe being thick of a sunday matt (always possible) but i meant the apparent difficulty of getting a schrader valve through a presta drilled hole in the rim.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Sorry Sweep
Yes. Getting that thick valve through a small rim home would be difficult/ impossible.
I have read about folks getting the rim drilled out. Guess it would be easy to make a pig's ear of it.
My adapter would let me inflate my thin valve with the thicker pump tube.
Must admit I've not tried it but I took it away with me to Asia for emergency use.
Sods law it wasn't required, like the rest of my tools.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
leadale

Post by leadale »

I did UK to Singapore in 1985 with 27inch x 1- 1/4 tyres no problems but don't use stainless steel spokes especially those thinned in the middle types they break under strain, ordinary standard rustless are best. Take a spare tyre and spare shifter and brake cables and all tools,learn how to true a wheel and take at least two spare inner tubes. Don't bother taking lights only a bloody fool would cycle at night in Asia. First aid kit essential as is insurance and rabies shots,also Hepatitis A<B<C,mosquito net and sheet sleeping bag. Always take your kit including bike into your room at night.
RickH

Post by RickH »

leadale wrote:...but don't use stainless steel spokes especially those thinned in the middle types they break under strain, ordinary standard rustless are best.

I think you'll find there are quite a few who would disagree with you on that one & say precisely the opposite that butted (thinner in the middle) stainless steel spokes are actually the better choice. Accidental damage aside, wheel problems are more likely to be from poor building.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.