Road cycling on Skye

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fausto copy

Road cycling on Skye

Post by fausto copy »

No, not a misprint to watch stuff via the dish. :lol:

We're thinking of touring Scotland in the motorhome in September and Mrs. Copy wants to do at least one of the islands.
As it wouldn't require any ferries, we thought of doing Skye.
However, whilst there we'd want to do some cycling and I've plotted 3 circular rides of 40 to 50 miles based on Portree.
As there seems to be a dearth of roads up there, obviously we'd be cycling on the main A-roads and I'd just like to have an idea on how busy they actually are. I suppose it's all relative really, but as long as there's not juggernauts every minute or so, we'd be OK.

fausto.

P.S. Also thinking of doing the same further east based on Nairn. :)
bogmyrtle

Re: Road cycling on Skye

Post by bogmyrtle »

Beautiful as Skye is it probably isn't the best island for relaxing cycling. Depending on when you are going, roads are generally busy particularly with campervans probably because there is no ferry fare to get there.
Skye midges are notorious.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PH

Post by PH »

If I could only do one of the islands it would be Mull. if you wanted to do it without the motorhome (Though it's a cheap enough crossing) you could leave that in Lochaline and take the 20 min crossing to Fishnish. Mull can be pretty well covered in two 40 - 50 mile loops and there's around 12 hours between the first and last ferries.
I know it makes on sense, but to me it doesn't feel like an island if there's a bridge to it.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I've completed a couple of loops from Portree (campsite), probably similar to what you have created, and I enjoyed them - it can get a bit busy if you coincide with a ferry arrival at Uig, but other than that it was fairly quiet and peaceful.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I live at the South end of Skye. One of my favourite rides (but only if you like steep hills) is the loop that takes in Tarskavaig and Ord on the north coast of Sleat. I've seen camper vans parked up on the verge by the beach at Tokavaig, so it might be an option on the way from the Mallaig ferry to Portree.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Mull is a far better option than Skye

Mull is almost bisected by the narrow isthmus between Salen and Loch-na-Keal and if you camp anywhere nearby you have options for circuits to the north and south. The northern circuit can be cut short at Dervaig by returning via Glen Arros.

Iona is well worth exploring but it's an out and back ride, or you could use the camper. Try to avoid busy ferry traffic or just pull over and let it pass.

I can also recommend a trip on the ferry to Kilchoan and a ride out to Ardnamurchan Point. You can return to Mull on the same ferry or along the shores of Loch Sunart and the ferry at Lochaline, but its quite a strenuous day ride.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Another vote for Mull here. I found the roads delightful on our 2015 tour, with the exception of the road from Craignure to Ffionport. That one is spoiled by cars, lorries and coaches rushing to get to the Iona ferry and as its a single track road, you are squeezed or forced to pull into a passing place to let them pass. No such problems on any of the other roads.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a ride on Skye some years ago, I was sorely disappointed.

All the decent roads seem to have been modernised - straightened out and become boring.
I could see the old roads alongside at times, but was unable to get onto them.
Mick F. Cornwall
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've ridden across Skye a couple of times and the roads can be busy but generally OK. However for me Skye does not really have that island feel anymore . I think other islands would be a better option as others have said it is possible to get a ferry to say Mull or one of the smaller islands with the bikes and have a day ride returning to the mainland. I'd certainly second the recommendation for Ardnamurchan, a remote feel to it, a lighthouse, ferry over to mull, what more could you ask for... well other than a trip to the Hebrides perhaps!
robing

Post by robing »

I didn't enjoy cycling on Skye. I cycled back across it from the Outer Hebrides from Uig to the Mallaig ferry. Busy main roads and a headwind=no fun. I'm sure it's better off the main drag. The road on Sleat to the Mallaig ferry was nicer.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Skye business complains constantly that " their " ferry has been stolen to serve Mull. Meanwhile there are record numbers travelling on the existing service and last summer there was no accommodation to be found at peak times. The message surely is that the roads are busier than they have ever been. Mull is also busy but the positives have been covered already. Apart from the spelling of place names I cannot find fault with them. On any single track road to or from a ferry the best policy is just to stop for a short while and let it all past. Buses are usually last in the rush as they have to load up while the rest of the traffic races off, tho' there are always a few terrified stragglers. Remember to pull over at suitable places to let overtaking traffic go past. Cars are expected to do so and cyclists should do the same. Failure to do so is the commonest complaint here regarding cyclists.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

ambodach wrote:Remember to pull over at suitable places to let overtaking traffic go past. Cars are expected to do so and cyclists should do the same. Failure to do so is the commonest complaint here regarding cyclists.

It's always stuck me that most motorists don't really know what to do around cyclists on single track roads, and try and treat them as slow cars. That generally includes the locals, few of whom have ridden a bike since they were children.
a) Overtaking:
The motorist should actually catch up before the passing place, and be paying attention and ready to come past immediately the cyclist pulls in. Loitering 50 yards back will just convince the cyclist that you haven't caught up yet, so they will carry on to the next passing place. Similarly, the cyclist will be able to hear if you are still in 5th gear, and therefore not in a position to come past immediately.

b) Oncoming:
There's almost always plenty of room to pass between passing places, so it's least delay all round to do so. It's generally best for the motorist to pull to the edge and stop just before reaching the cyclist and let them do the passing - they have a better view of the space available, and can stop & lift the bike off the road if there isn't space.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Police Scotland should be doing speed checks on the way to the ferries.

Then the terrorists might catch the boat but lose their licences :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Just posting to keep an eye on the advice. I'm finishing a tour of the Hebridise on Skye. So very interested. Also, we were contemplating two days on Skye, but sounds like we would be better off heading down to Mull for 2nd Day
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks for your replies folks, all very valuable and appreciated.

Having perused the maps a bit more and discussed it with our friends who will join us, we are thinking of basing ourselves near to Dunvegan rather than Portree as it looks quite and there may be more options of shorter rides.

We shall also consider Mull instead of Skye, as it seems that is the place to go if you only ever manage just the one island.

Cheers for now,
fausto.

P.S. Slightly alarmed to hear the midges can still be around in September. :shock: