Road cycling on Skye

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Re: Road cycling on Skye

Post by TrevA »

It's a real pain to have to pull into every passing place and stop to let a stream of cars past. I prefer to pull in and slow down so that 3-4 cars can get past, the rest can then wait until the next passing place. I realise this may wind some drivers up, but if you stop at every passing place, it's really hard to get going again if loaded, and to make any real progress.

Regarding oncoming, some cars stop and some just carry on regardless, bullying their way through.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

If you stop to let 3 or 4 cars past why not just let them all go rather than seemingly wind them all up. You then have a reasonable distance in peace and less starting up if that is a problem.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

ambodach wrote:If you stop to let 3 or 4 cars past why not just let them all go

The point was that he wasn't stopping, just going round the edge of the passing place at a crawl.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just avoid the main Skye drag from the bridge to Uig and its reasonable. The main roads are like any other with the hazard of locals fed up with dawdling campers and gawpers with the family.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reported that Skye is exceedingly popular, best to visit one of the "real" Isles by ferry, or Ardnamuchan :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

I recently cycled down Skye from Uig to Armadale. The section from Uig to Dunvegan was quiet and provided some good cycling. From Dunvegan to Sligachan was also good. From Sligachan to Broadford wasnt so nice, I found it busy with lorries, campers and coaches. Broadford.to Armadale was also good.

Dunvegan is a nice place to base yourself as the village has shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants.

There were midges in early September.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I cycled on Skye a couple of years ago. Armadale to junction with main road to Broadford was fine. The main road from here through Broadford to Portree was definitely not. Lots of frikin' motorhomes which were a nightmare close passing. Also heavy traffic. Not a pleasant experience at all. If I was to go again I would go on my motorbike mainly as motorcycle clothing is great protection against midges and I wouldn't be run off the road by motorhomes. They are the ultimate lazy person's way of travelling. They contribute little to the local economies they pass through as most people who use them are pretty much self sufficient with no need for accommodation or local services.

For the island experience I would cycle the Hebrides, if I were to go to Scotland again.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
robing

Post by robing »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I cycled on Skye a couple of years ago. Armadale to junction with main road to Broadford was fine. The main road from here through Broadford to Portree was definitely not. Lots of frikin' motorhomes which were a nightmare close passing. Also heavy traffic. Not a pleasant experience at all. If I was to go again I would go on my motorbike mainly as motorcycle clothing is great protection against midges and I wouldn't be run off the road by motorhomes. They are the ultimate lazy person's way of travelling. They contribute little to the local economies they pass through as most people who use them are pretty much self sufficient with no need for accommodation or local services.

For the island experience I would cycle the Hebrides, if I were to go to Scotland again.

Totally agree. And with the RET ferry subsidies it's not just Skye that's blighted by motorhomes.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

andrew_s wrote:
ambodach wrote:Remember to pull over at suitable places to let overtaking traffic go past. Cars are expected to do so and cyclists should do the same. Failure to do so is the commonest complaint here regarding cyclists.

It's always stuck me that most motorists don't really know what to do around cyclists on single track roads, and try and treat them as slow cars. That generally includes the locals, few of whom have ridden a bike since they were children.
a) Overtaking:
The motorist should actually catch up before the passing place, and be paying attention and ready to come past immediately the cyclist pulls in. Loitering 50 yards back will just convince the cyclist that you haven't caught up yet, so they will carry on to the next passing place. Similarly, the cyclist will be able to hear if you are still in 5th gear, and therefore not in a position to come past immediately.

b) Oncoming:
There's almost always plenty of room to pass between passing places, so it's least delay all round to do so. It's generally best for the motorist to pull to the edge and stop just before reaching the cyclist and let them do the passing - they have a better view of the space available, and can stop & lift the bike off the road if there isn't space.

I've driven a lot and cycled a bit in the Outer Hebrides. Yes, the "protocol" of passing place usage needs attention. On one occasion, having pulled into a passing place to let a motorist behind me overtake (I was in a car), they stopped, in the middle of the road, to berate me for not pulling in to let them pass, which I'd just done, but apparently not soon enough. They asked me if I hadn't seen the "notices on the ferry", so clearly they were locals, or thought of themselves as such. As it happens I think they were offcumdens, I didn't bother claiming vicarious "local" status due to my father being actually born there.

Just like in England a little bit of foresight and consideration goes a long way. But some of the locals, at least on the Uists, fairly bomb along. Vision is often excellent, with no trees, fences or hedges, and a generally flat landscape. And they know the road well. With vehicles coming the other way you can usually see them a long way off, after which it's a question of both of you timing it so you arrive at the passing place simultaneously. On the bike not so simple. But I would often pull the bike over to let vehicles behind pass. The main problem being that it's so frequently windy that you just don't hear anything behind. Some locals would occasionally pass too close, but at least most of the time all that's going to happen is you'll be off into a muddy ditch.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Skye is very scenic,but v busy.I enjoyed uists,Barra,Arran,Harris,Benbeccula much more
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Skye is very scenic,but v busy.I enjoyed uists,Barra,Arran,Harris,Benbeccula much more
robing

Post by robing »

I think Skye is the only Scottish island I didn't enjoy cycling on. Maybe because it's no longer a proper island :wink: