Pennine Cycleway - best direction?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ramogian

Pennine Cycleway - best direction?

Post by Ramogian »

I am back to thinking about the Pennine Cycleway again.
The main issue is "train pain" when we reach the end of NCN 68 in Berwick upon Tweed.
Getting from there back to Macclesfield involves 3 different train operators.
Someone suggested riding a further 60 miles to Edinburgh (using NCN 76) which then allows a direct train to Stockport which is close enough to ride home from. That is the current plan.
However, I am wondering if it might be better to get the train pain done at the start of the journey and ride all the way back, north to south. My reason for this is that the distances between potential B&B towns are considerably greater the further north you go. It may be better to cover off the larger distances at the start of the tour when we are still relatively fresh.
All the guides I have found seem to suggest riding south to north.

Are there any good reasons NOT to ride north to south?
PH

Re: Pennine Cycleway - best direction?

Post by PH »

I'm doing it (For the second time) with a group in May. Just booked my train ticket back to Derby for £27 using a split ticket. It's an easy train to New Mills, one change in Sheffield, can you not ride back from there?
South to North gives you easier gradients, longer climbs which are less steep. Or so the theory goes, I've done sections of it in the other direction and thought it was all much the same. The 30ish miles at both ends are easy going. If it suites you better to do it N>S I see no reason not to.
It is a great ride, enjoy it.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I'm doing the in July. My preference is to get the train done first, so on previous tours this meant I get the train out and cycle home. So I'm going north to south from Berwick-upon-Tweed. The only time this seems to give a major advantage over going to other way is on the A628 where going north - south means youre going downhill on a major a road, rather than trying to go uphill on it or over a rough Moor track...
pq

Post by pq »

The main reason not to do North-South is the prevailing winds.
One link to your website is enough. G
pwa

Post by pwa »

Do you prefer the sun on your back or your face?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If most go north and you go south you will frequently pass people going the other way and will enjoy less solitude

If you go north you might be surprised how few others are doing the route
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies