Malaysia west to east from penang

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobbyj

Malaysia west to east from penang

Post by bobbyj »

Hi...I want to get from Penang to Kota Bharu on the east coast via Jeli, Dabong and Gua Musang but need accommodation along the way which seems to be in short supply particularly from Gerik to Jeli. Has anyone got experience riding this route please. I haven't got a tent and anyway a cyclist I met in Laos said that a sudden thunderstorm can flatten one.
I also want to know if there is a train service between Gua Musang and Kota Bharu which will take bikes.
Cheers. Bob.J.
simonhill

Re: Malaysia west to east from penang

Post by simonhill »

When are you going? I'll be doing something similar next year, but haven't researched it yet.

That stretch of new(ish) road acrossx the central mountains is famed for no accom. I was also wondering about heading south and getting the scenic railway route, I presume that is the one you mean.

You may get some info on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, Malaysia branch. Also man in seat61 has good train info

If desperate, I think I AirAsia probably fly and take bikes.

Otherwise head north from Penang into Thailand at Hat Yai then south down the East coast, Narathiwat, etc. As long as you don't mind 'the troubles'.

Let me know how you do it, please
bobbyj

Post by bobbyj »

Hi...I was wondering if you might reply Simon, you are the Guru of SE ASIA.
Thank you for your thoughts but it is a pity you haven't been..I will certainly pass on anything useful before you go yourself . I will be flying to Penang tomorrow from Udon Thani so I have left my planning a little late. I hope to get more info. from a tourist information, other cyclists I see and a warmshower host on the island of penang when I get there.
I have found some useful stuff from a Travelling Two blog which relates a tour from Gerik to Cameron Highlands. I Want to stop at Gua Musang after Jeli and Dabong and then catch the train to Kota Bharu before cycling down the east coast to Singapore.
Between Gerik and Jeli they say there is a luxury hotel by the Temengor reservoir at 43km after which it is a 82km isolated journey to Jeli where there is an hotel. Should be doable providing the weather is good..lots of heavy unpredictable rainstorms they say.
Btw...what is man in seat61 all about. Don't fancy going into Thailanx but an Air Asia flight might take away any apprehension..i'm getting a little old for trailblazing.
Cheers, will keep in touch by email maybe.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hi, after I posted, I remembered a book written by a Malaysian woman who cycled round the Peninsula. My sister gave me a copy last time I was there. Haven't read it yet, but I'm pretty certain she did that route and found places to stay. Maybe you can find the book in Penang. It looked like a locally produced thing. Unfortunately my copy is back home.

Maninseat61 is a wonderful website about railways all over the world. He details loads of train routes.

Enjoy Penang, one of my favourite places for food. The Indian curries are probably the best in the world and the Chinese food is pretty good too. Cycling is a bit iffy due to traffic, but the N and W of the island has nice quiet stretches.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hi again Bob, another thought, what about a bus? They may be able to take a bike in the luggage hold.

I think they go from Butterworth on the mainland. You can get a green ferry over to check it out. Only a few cents, pay on return trip.

Even if you don't want a bus, the ferry is a good cheap bit of sightseeing. Only (mainly?) pedestrians and two wheeler now the bridges have been built.

Enjoy.