Best route to cycle over the Alps- North to South?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bodger8Badger

Best route to cycle over the Alps- North to South?

Post by Bodger8Badger »

Hiya,

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I'm new to the forum and still getting used to navigating it.

Next month my partner and I are quitting out jobs and aiming to cycle the world. We're setting off from the UK and our first major stop will be Italy. We've got most of our kit sorted and are now considering our route.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the best routes we could take across the Alps please?

Thanks in advance :)
RobinS

Re: Best route to cycle over the Alps- North to South?

Post by RobinS »

MrsS and are setting off in that direction next month as well - but only as far as Albania before turning around to come home. Late April/early May lots of the best roads across the alps are still closed by snow, and you can't cycle through many of the tunnel alternatives. As we are avoiding Switzerland, due to very high prices we are planning on Grenoble - Bourg d'Oisans - Col du Lautaret - Briancon - into Italy - Susa - Torino. This route is open all year round.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There are regular flights from the UK to Milan!

But seriously, the Alps are spread across a huge lump of Europe so the best route will vary depending on where you approach from. There are some classic routes like the Via Augusta across the Tirol, more testing routes like the St Gotthard in Switzerland or miss them altogether by following the Mediterranean coast.

There are lots of variations so maybe you need to look at the wider picture before worrying over the Alpine crossing.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bodger8Badger

Post by Bodger8Badger »

Thanks. I'd not even thought about snow! Do you have a trusty weather site?

It's just good to know that they are crossable from lots of directions, thanks.

Might see you along the way RobinS :)
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

You have to think what you mean by 'best': easiest? most fun? prettiest? most spectacular? most challenging? most likely to be open?

If you route is through Germany, the Brenner is low (1375m?), and rarely closes, but has a large motorway over it; or the Via Claudia Augusta takes the Reschen pass, quieter and not much higher.

Or if through France, the Lautaret + Montgenevre is the most obvious choice, both around 2000m, dropping down to Briancon at 1300m in between. Both open as of today. If it's open, the col de l'Echelle from Briancon is lower, pretty, almost traffic-free, and a waymarked bike route. Further south, the col de Larche is also open today, though I believe you're not supposed to cycle it.

If you're going through Switzerland, the Spluga pass is one not to miss – a relatively short climb from the upper Rhine, and a fabulous long winding descent into Italy. Nice campsite at the bottom.

http://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols.php for the state of French passes.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Because of that motorway the old Brenner road is fairly quiet - least it was when I crossed it last year.

Thing is, there are loads of options some are steep, some are quiet, some are scenic but there are also shallow, busy and unpleasant routes. Some have long run ins, others require multiple climbs to make the crossing. You can cross on tarmac but also on dirt 'roads' so the options are out there.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:Because of that motorway the old Brenner road is fairly quiet - least it was when I crossed it last year.

Thing is, there are loads of options some are steep, some are quiet, some are scenic but there are also shallow, busy and unpleasant routes. Some have long run ins, others require multiple climbs to make the crossing. You can cross on tarmac but also on dirt 'roads' so the options are out there.

Do you have a favourite one?
Sweep
papjordan

Post by papjordan »

Hi. As a route to Italy take a look at the Via Francigena... a route from Canterbury to Rome used since the time of the Roman empire and by pilgrims to Rome for a thousand years or so. It takes you across the alps via the Grand Saint Bernards pass and then down the Aosta valley to the northern plains of Italy. I did the ride to Rome 3 years ago... a great trip. Have a great tour... Buon Camino.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sweep wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Because of that motorway the old Brenner road is fairly quiet - least it was when I crossed it last year.

Do you have a favourite one?

Have been giving it some thought - to be honest I don't have a favourite - maybe the Reschen down to Merano etc or otherwise the Gotthard which isn't bad of itself - getting up to it though.....
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Bodger8Badger wrote:Thanks. I'd not even thought about snow! Do you have a trusty weather site?

It's just good to know that they are crossable from lots of directions, thanks.

Might see you along the way RobinS :)

A lot of the high Alpine passes don't open until mid-May as they are still blocked by fallen snow. You can still get snow in the Alps in late May, June and July. I've climbed the Galibier in July and there was still snow piled up at the side of the road. On top of the Col d'Isearan, they were stil skiing at the top, though the road was open.

I've done Grenoble - Briancon - Susa in both directions. There was a tunnel collapse between Grenoble and Briancon but I understand that the road is open again now.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

TrevA wrote:There was a tunnel collapse between Grenoble and Briancon but I understand that the road is open again now.

It's open for the skiing season, but it was meant to be closing for a period in the spring for finishing works, like lining, lighting etc. The bypass road on the other side of the reservoir looked to be better cycling anyway, at least in the uphill direction.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

The bypass road ('route de secours'), thrown in in great haste, is certainly an interesting ride :roll: . It also has on occasion been closed by landslides, so worth checking before trying to use. It's a long detour if it's closed!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

From the horse's mouth, via Google translate -
The new tunnel will be closed again in March 2017 to reopen temporarily from about 8 July to 27 August (daytime only) and then definitively by mid-December 2017. During the tunnel's closing, the relief route, created on the shore Left of the Romanche, will be reopened to the traffic.
Bodger8Badger

Post by Bodger8Badger »

nirakaro wrote:If you route is through Germany, the Brenner is low (1375m?), and rarely closes, but has a large motorway over it; or the Via Claudia Augusta takes the Reschen pass, quieter and not much higher.
Or if through France, the Lautaret + Montgenevre is the most obvious choice, both around 2000m, dropping down to Briancon at 1300m in between. Both open as of today. If it's open, the col de l'Echelle from Briancon is lower, pretty, almost traffic-free, and a waymarked bike route. Further south, the col de Larche is also open today, though I believe you're not supposed to cycle it.
If you're going through Switzerland, the Spluga pass is one not to miss – a relatively short climb from the upper Rhine, and a fabulous long winding descent into Italy. Nice campsite at the bottom.

Thank you ever so much for the great info :) And to everyone else for their super appreciated help :D