Moselle area

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roberts8

Moselle area

Post by roberts8 »

We are thinking of driving down to the the River Moselle and doing day rides from a fixed base. I would guess the central section. Does anyone who knows the area have any suggestions. It looks like we could cycle one way and get a train or ferry back, is that an option?

Thanks in advance
PDQ Mobile

Re: Moselle area

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Upper Moselle area is nice.
Japanese Knotweed is a problem along the river.
Rural. Quiet. Pleasant. Friendly.
Wooded Vosges mountains all around.

And a tarmaced old railway line cycle track!!
The Voie Vert. Starts at Remiremont goes up to Bussang.

Some nice cheap camping too.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PDQ Mobile wrote:And a tarmaced old railway line cycle track!!

An amazingly quiet and superbly surfaced track it is too. That from somebody who usually avoids such things. That section puts you in reach of the climb up Ballon etc.
Camping - there are several campsites along that section. I was there about 3 years ago to see the Tour de France. I used Le Clos Martin at Ramonchamp. If you like simple then this is for you. Pretty much it is an old orchard with 2 token operated showers and basic other facilities. It is run from the house opposite where the lady charged me 4 Euros a night. Perfect for my taste, and more to the point - up on the main road is a boulangerie the likes of which you've seldom seen. All sorts of breads and pastries prepared in open view. Magnificent.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

reckon Trier would be a good place to use as a base. It's an interesting city with plenty to do if you fancy a day off the bike, and from there you can either head up or downstream on the Mosel, or take a left at Konz and follow the Saar for a while.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Upper Moselle area is nice.
Japanese Knotweed is a problem along the river.
Rural. Quiet. Pleasant. Friendly.
Wooded Vosges mountains all around.

And a tarmaced old railway line cycle track!!

Heartily detested by every Audaxer that rides it. Last time I did it I counted 96 idiot barriers in its 30 km length, all of them made of wood and most of them somewhat hair-raising to negotiate. Tiring, too, getting back up to speed on a loaded bike. On good weekends it's also over-populated. Nice if you're not in a hurry, though.

Have we got time for another cuppa?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Well I guess opinions differ. Two posts up someone really liked it!

I think "heartily detested" is probably poor use of English! False news!!

It is a delightful ribbon of super smooth tarmac through lovely varied valley scenery.
The barriers are opposing single wooden posts set horizonally. A chicane! On my recumbent rather fun to see just how fast I could flick though them.
Very fast!! Head brushing close!!!
Horses for courses though!
The barriers are to stop motor vehicles accessing the route so not without function.they also serve to mark road crossings for the cyclists. However dismounting is never necessary, unlike my local UK Sustrans route!!
Populated yes, near the villages but quieter on the long country sections.
People courteous, respectful, friendly; dog walkers mostly sensible
I have been up and down it many times. Sometimes in a hurry.
Better surfaced than the roads!
It's always enjoyable.
Picnic areas, shops, supermarkets, bakeries dotted along it's length.
Remiremont is a nice liitle place. Ditto Le Thillot.

And the Jeune Moselle is a delight of kingfishers, gigantic trout,and meandering reaches.

Shame about the Japanese Knotweed though. It is a serious and difficult problem (for the local Authority) in many places along the river bed.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

roberts8 wrote:We are thinking of driving down to the the River Moselle and doing day rides from a fixed base. I would guess the central section. Does anyone who knows the area have any suggestions. It looks like we could cycle one way and get a train or ferry back, is that an option?

Thanks in advance

On the German stretch (essentially Trier to Koblenz) there is a regular rail service that will happily take bikes. There are regular bridge crossings so doing an up and back ride as a loop is quite possible. Be aware though that the trains don't always follow the river directly.

There are plenty of side trips / excursions - castles, Roman stuff, pretty villages. It is very popular with Trekkers and at weekends can get quite congested around the 'honeypots'.

South from Trier the river forms the border with Luxembourg - scenery much the same down past Remich. No trains though as they head out into the Saarland and across towards Luxembourg city. Not been into the French zone but always thought it looked less interesting.

Enjoy your trip
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Sounds fab! Will have to do it once I've done the Rhine in a year or two! (Am commenting partly so I can find this thread again!)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Cicerone do a good guide to this.

The dreaded Japanese knotweed is along the Rhine too and along parts of the north Sea Route in Holland. It travels easily along river banks and other movement corridors. If you are bothered rinse your bike down in the street when you get home, not in your garden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bohrsatom wrote:reckon Trier would be a good place to use as a base. It's an interesting city with plenty to do if you fancy a day off the bike, and from there you can either head up or downstream on the Mosel, or take a left at Konz and follow the Saar for a while.

Trier is the birthplace of Karl Marx, next year he will be 200 years old, lots of events are planned

A film about the young KM (1844-1848) has just been released so the year will be a bit longer

2017 is a Luther year in Germany with thousands of events
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

If you are driving to the Moselle head for Remich (turn off motorway round Luxembourg at junction before the airport)
Luxembourg has the cheapest fuel, as Remich is on the border the road into town is full of petrol stations.
At bottom of road turn right at lights for the esplanade alongside river. For a 1 centre holiday I too would recommend Trier.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Again this forum has come up with the goods.
Thanks for all your good advise and a cicerone guide is on order. Looks like Trier will be our base so will look at airbnb.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

In my earlier post I mentioned taking a trip along the Saar. A good reason for this is to visit the small town of Saarburg which has a very pretty square lined with cafes, restaurants and ice cream shops. However the most important attraction is the 20m waterfall in the heart of the town which is really unique and well worth the ride:

BTW in addition to the Cicerone there is a Bikeline Moselradweg guide in English which you might want to purchase, although in my opinion both books aren't worth the money. Not sure where you are based/work but I was able to borrow both from the City of London library.

Here is the Crazyguyonabike journal from our trip along the Saar, Mosel and Rhine last year: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=17982