Uk to Venice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Uk to Venice

Post by robing »

I am going on an organised cycle trip in northern Italy at end of September, and was wondering how to get there
When I thought I could cycle there all the way from home! :D Anyone recommend a good route probably starting from calais
Or Dunkirk via belgium, Luxembourg. I realise I will have to traverse the Alps either Switzerland or Austria
MarcusT

Re: Uk to Venice

Post by MarcusT »

Sorry, I have no experience for that route, but I just need to ask: After an undertaking of UK to Venice, don't you think an organized trip might be a little .....tame?
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

+1!
If it was me though, I'd start at Rotterdam, head up the Rhine as far as Breisach, then up to the top of the Danube at Donaueschingen. Down the Danube to Ulm, across to Augsburg, where you pick up the Via Claudia Augusta all the way to Venice. Nice…
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nirakaro wrote:+1!
If it was me though, I'd start at Rotterdam, head up the Rhine as far as Breisach, then up to the top of the Danube at Donaueschingen. Down the Danube to Ulm, across to Augsburg, where you pick up the Via Claudia Augusta all the way to Venice. Nice…

or you could go somewhat more directly down through Switzerland to Milan and across to Venice.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cat skis

Post by cat skis »

My husband and I will be cycling London to Venice in May. We're starting with London to Harwich and taking the overnight ferry from there then heading through NL into Germany, doing some of the Romantic Road and the Rhine and then picking up the Via Claudia Augusta. Then it's on to Treviso and finally Venice. We're getting the train back, not doing more cycling!
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

cat skis wrote:...Treviso ... Venice ..

... simply unforgettable !!

landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Venice-Simpson-Orient-Express of course ..... .... "I say Carruthers some oik wants to cycle to Venice ... How jolly silly ....."
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Some combination of Moselle, Rhine, Tauber cycleways, romantic road, then Via Claudia Augusta maybe?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I cycled from Bath to Monte Carlo a few years ago, and separately I've cycled Venice to Nice via Monte Carlo. Both routes were great, but Venice to Nice I went indirectly over the Dolomites to Switzerland and down the Alps.

Bath to Italy was down to Cherbourg and then diagnoly under Paris, over the Alps, down to Nice and then along the coast.

You could then do a route via Lake Como and some of the Dolomites to Venice