Cheap Handlebar Harness?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Firepanda

Cheap Handlebar Harness?

Post by Firepanda »

Unable to find a handlebar harness for less than ~ £35, though most are £50-£80+

Something like this on ebay

..which is nothing more than just a few straps it looks like, not sure why they're all so expensive, unless the official name isn't handlebar harness which is why my google searches aren't coming up with anything cheaper? I would have thought somewhere cheap like Decathlon would have jumped on selling something that simple for like £10.

If there is nothing cheaper, are bungee cords the best option and stable enough to hold say.. a 3-5kg drybag/tent?
rualexander

Re: Cheap Handlebar Harness?

Post by rualexander »

Harnesses are unnecessary.
Just strap your bag/tent on using something like https://www.alpkit.com/products/dual-straps-grey
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Alpkit are having a sale - still slightly outside your price range - now @£45

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kanga
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There was a time when you could simply use some of the old toestraps that used to accumulate in the tool box.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Trying to work out what you do with a handlebar harness and for what? Pardon my ignorance.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

rualexander wrote:Harnesses are unnecessary.
Just strap your bag/tent on using something like https://www.alpkit.com/products/dual-straps-grey

foxyrider wrote:There was a time when you could simply use some of the old toestraps that used to accumulate in the tool box.

With flat bar levers you get the stuff too close, if not blocking your brake levers. If that is not a major issue... :roll:
Often, a "roll" (that can be only a relatively large dry sack) can be spaced out with two blocks of hard foam. I do this way, but planning to get a harness, because it makes life a lot easier in terms of speed when packing (no faffing around with straps and spacers)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

eileithyia wrote:Trying to work out what you do with a handlebar harness and for what? Pardon my ignorance.

For a setup like this?
(note how close the front pack gets to the bars)

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...