videos of must visit places in Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

videos of must visit places in Italy

Post by mercalia »

"There are plenty of beautiful places to explore in Italy, and now you can take a tour of the country from the comfort of your sofa. These 13 stunning drone videos will provide beautiful inspiration for travellers - armchair or otherwise. "

https://www.thelocal.it/20170323/take-a-drone-tour-of-italy-with-these-13-stunning-videos
trilathon

Re: videos of must visit places in Italy

Post by trilathon »

the best places to visit are often the ones you've never heard of and only realise by chance of arriving via bicycle...for instance the Amalfi coast is nice early morning but also horrendous once everyone gets out of bed. Yet 100 miles down the coast it's arguably just as beautiful and no one really goes there or talks about it or more crucially drives about.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Great post trilathon.

Any other suggestions from folks for relatively quiet unswamped italian places?

I intend to get myself to Abruzzo as soon as I can sort some things.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

trilathon wrote:the best places to visit are often the ones you've never heard of and only realise by chance of arriving via bicycle...for instance the Amalfi coast is nice early morning but also horrendous once everyone gets out of bed. Yet 100 miles down the coast it's arguably just as beautiful and no one really goes there or talks about it or more crucially drives about.

Ive been telling people for years the cilentan coast (especially round Palinuro) is nicer than the Amalfi. :)

Where my aunty lives is completely untouristy and has amazing roads for road cycling. She on the northern edge of this regional park https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parco_naturale_delle_Capanne_di_Marcarolo and has the added benefit of the Fausto Coppi museum just up the road.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Yes, there are a couple of coastal national parks that are nice and unspoilt ( but southern Italy is a forsaken jewel for cycling anyway,atleast away from the lowland fruit an veg plains, so let the tourists and the Rapha newbies alone to crow about northern Italy ) , although I can recall sidestepping a landslide which had washed the only road away apart from about 6 ft of it, and man hauling the tourer where the road had dropped 3 Ft a bit further on...what excitement ! You don't even get that on the shivering mountain Mam Tor !

Tropea further down near the toe is a wonderful cliff top medieval ( with archaic antecedents ) town and far from the maddening crowd it retains the sort of boheme sophisticate that once might once survived 50 years ago in little French towns like Cassis or Spainish Cadaques etc. Sit a top the cliff and look for Stromboli, the lighthouse of the med erupting...beat that jean Michel jarre ! )I have a wonderful picture of the mountain tunnel to reach it, chock full of rocks from an earthquake, which just leaves the empty old coastal donkey road to reach it.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

honesty wrote:
trilathon wrote:the best places to visit are often the ones you've never heard of and only realise by chance of arriving via bicycle...for instance the Amalfi coast is nice early morning but also horrendous once everyone gets out of bed. Yet 100 miles down the coast it's arguably just as beautiful and no one really goes there or talks about it or more crucially drives about.

Ive been telling people for years the cilentan coast (especially round Palinuro) is nicer than the Amalfi. :)

Where my aunty lives is completely untouristy and has amazing roads for road cycling. She on the northern edge of this regional park https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parco_naturale_delle_Capanne_di_Marcarolo and has the added benefit of the Fausto Coppi museum just up the road.

Yes it is nice around there...Marina di Camerota I recall being nice after some sinuous descending, and many caves along the coast too. Also jasmine fragrances to die for festooned some of the buildings...made parts of Amalfi seem like erm....., and gods forbid I ever descend to the depths of the Blackpulian inferno Sorrento again !
Last edited by trilathon on 25 Mar 2017, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

My overriding memory of the place was the grottos and the blue blue colour of the sea. We went out of season (end of June) and it was dead as well. This was a few years ago mind you...

Used to go to the toy shop in marina de camerota!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

trilathon wrote: and gods forbid I ever descend to the depths of the Blackpulian inferno Sorrento again !

:) Yes, I remember it from my inter-railing in the mid 80s - clearly a wonderful spot and I did manage to get some peace down by the sea, but it was clear even off season (I was there in September I think) that the town had been wrecked by, er, "tourist offrerngs".

Keep the suggestions coming about Italy's out of the way wonders. Not long left before they are all tarnished surely as Puglia has long since been "discovered".
Sweep
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Yes, translucent turquoise modulating to bright lapis blue and framed by precipitous karst rock when viewed from above under the sun...yes I remember. Sometimes you don't know if you are amongst rocky reflecting limestone of Greece, southern Turkey or north eastern Spain, until you spy a building, meet a local or most crucially for Italy, buy some food.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

i'm afraid that italy is not the one of the drones, the parks and the brochures; just decide where to go possibly staying after your feeling or instinct if you prefer and, after some reasonable route planning, ... just go!!
you'll likely find and know the real country, with good, sometimes excellent and some other times horrible things!!
that's italy !!|
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

wise words conrad.
Sweep
wizard

Post by wizard »

Sweep wrote:Great post trilathon.

Any other suggestions from folks for relatively quiet unswamped italian places?

I intend to get myself to Abruzzo as soon as I can sort some things.

I'd recommend the Dolomiti Lucane in the Basilicata region:
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

ConRAD wrote:... you'll likely find and know the real country, with good, sometimes excellent and some other times horrible things!! ... that's italy !!|

STILL VALID STATEMENT !!

HERE the entire trip (temporarily in Italian only, sorry !!) [ EDIT: corrected the link address]

Here below the departure from Ortigia (Siracusa/Sicily) very early in the morning of past September 30, 2017:

Here below arriving to Scilla (Calabria) late in the evening just a few days ago:

Last edited by ConRAD on 26 Oct 2017, 8:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Late very late reply wizard :)
Thanks for that vid, looks great, will seriously consider.
All that scrappy tarmaccing rather reminds me of sardinia.
Sweep