Battery in aircraft cabin

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
paieye

Battery in aircraft cabin

Post by paieye »

I am the happy owner of a 3-speed Brompton, which has now been fitted with an electric motor incorporated into a new front hub. The motor is powered by a Bosch lithium ion 4 Ah battery, weighing about 1.2 kilos. I shall be flying to France via Air France next month. The bicycle will go in the hold, folded up inside its Brompton Bike Bag, but can I expect to be permitted to take the battery into the cabin with me ?
cycleruk

Re: Battery in aircraft cabin

Post by cycleruk »

Your best bet is to contact the airline and ask them. They will give a yea or nay and you can ask them to send you an Email if it's O.K. . You can show that to check-in if they challenge you.
Personally I doubt they would let you because of it's size.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you for that, it is what I expected. I have sent the airline a message, but am not optimistic about hearing from them.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

CAA suggest you will be ok. Batteries carried as spares https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before ... n-baggage/
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

tatanab wrote:CAA suggest you will be ok. Batteries carried as spares https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before ... n-baggage/

No its not that is for your typical lap top battery

li-ion battery 100 W/h to 160 W/h and a bike battery is typically 400 W/h. You really need to check with the airline. they do have rules to accommodate electric bikes. but the rules above is for portable devices.
NUKe

Post by tatanab »

^^^ I thought about that. The OP says 4Ah, so I thought "what voltage, lets say 28V because I do not know" so that gets into the 160Wh limit. I admit, I did think 4Ah was very low. In any case, I thoroughly agree with everybody about checking with the airline.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When you read the small print for carriage of bikes on planes, many state that electric bikes are not permitted.

You may get away with it as it is folding and in a bag, but it might be picked up by x-ray.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would have doubts given the reaction LiPO batteries can have if punctured. e.g. a LiPO phone battery being punctured https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFxlf4fXjo. Something bigger ?

Ian
paieye

Post by paieye »

Air France are quite willing for me to take my battery into the passenger-cabin, but, exactly as predicted by simonhill, have now refused to carry my electric Brompton "due to safety-restrictions."