Butterflies and Bats - Cycling Around the World

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Butterflies and Bats

After decades of dreaming about cycling around the world, my daughters are now young adults and I'm off. At 53 years old and single, worked manually and hard all my life, sold the house, stuff going into storage in the next few weeks, followed by 2 months more prep before setting off for as long as it takes. I could be out there a month if I hate it, or 3 years or many more if I'm loving it.

Everything is going to plan, but my emotions are all over the place. I really don't mind saying, that I question myself one minute, the next I get butterflies of excitement. Recently, this is how my day goes.

When I was younger I would just take off without a care in the world, wherever I wanted and for however long, but now, at this age, a father too, the preparation feels massive. I don't want to rent my house out because I don't want the headache or anyone trashing it, so it went on the market a few weeks ago and sold the next day, and yes, my buttock went.

So many things to think about, meds for low-T and Hypothyroidism as I travel, insurance, losing my car no claims bonus for being away for so long and of course getting rid of my car. Scattering the proceeds from my house across as many accounts as I can to get the best interest to maybe cover the cost of all my possession being in climate controlled storage for years, and to hopefully give me a bit extra to cover travel insurance and internet storage.

The writing of a will for my daughters in case of the worst, working out how to get visa's in different countries to get me to the next country. Never cycled more than 30 miles in a single day, and only did that once :), but love cycling all the same.

The list of things to do and prepare for is endless, but although I'm a bit spooked by it all, I'm so excited for the day I turn that pedal to start my circumnavigation of the globe, only having to think about where I will be the next day, what I might eat for tea, where I will set up my tent. This was a lifelong dream, and dreams aren't always meant to be realized, but here I am, feeling very lucky, and of course, with butterflies.

Steve
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Stephen, congratulations, I'm sure once you get going a lot of the butterflies will disappear. Setting off is the biggest step.
With SIM cards and data easy to obtain it's easy to keep in touch.
Don't rush, if you feel like stopping, do, smile and speak to people often and you'll see how friendly most of the world is. It's easy to live on £5 or less a day when you get going so don't worry about money.
Do you have any thoughts on where you are going?
StephenPeel

Re: Butterflies and Bats - Cycling Around the World

Post by StephenPeel »

Thank you. My daughters and I have iphones and they were showing me all about Facetime for free, which will be a big help because I will miss them. I'm very outward going and can speak to anyone. I'm quite likable if I do say so myself :). I expect my house to complete before the end of May, which will leave me 2 months after that to move in with my sister in North Wales while I get all my gear delivered and tested, then I will be setting off. Hopefully by the 1st August, as I will be trying to get as far East as I can before the winter sets in, so from Cheshire, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, and into Cyprus, where I can hold up for weeks or months if need be before heading out to India. Plenty of countries after that of course.

simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I gave up work at the age of 45 because it was getting in the way of my travelling.

I did it differently from you in that I decided I wanted to retain house and contacts back home and so decided to only go away for a maximum of 3 months. Probably over 70,000 kms now clocked up.

I didn't burn as many bridges as you have and would question why you sold your house. It would give a good income, far better than interest on savings accounts and also would be somewhere to return to. Nonetheless that is your choice. If you had a reasonable amount of cash it could be worth investing some in funds (stocks and shares) rather than​ only cash.

Forget travel insurance, it will be difficult to get especially after the first year.

Visas are a headache especially when applying outside your own country. The Lonely Planet Thorn Tree website country forums can be useful for getting up to date info on countries, visas, etc.

Remember that flights are very cheap now, so a quick trip home isn't a big deal financially, eg under £400 return to S East Asia. You may not want to do this, but it may help settle your nerves. Modern technology means you can be in almost permanent contact with back home. Personally I don't like this, but again it can be reassuring.

Have a great time, don't push too​ hard and don't worry about chilling on a beach occasionally.

Enjoy.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Thanks. My house has been a 12 month renovation project and I was fortunate enough to make enough on it to cover my 3 year trip, so the original investment will be going back into savings until I return. As a builder I have no doubt I will be able to pick up where I left off when I return with a little hard work, but I feel the cycle is worth it. I have no finance or debt, but I'm no fan of renting out. I also may find somewhere else in the world I wouldn't mind buying into, who knows.

Getting back once in a while for a short break to see my daughters will likely be part of the plan, and getting them to come out to see me will be nice. I have a budget of £50 a day for the 3 years, after bike and equipment, and feel this should be plenty, hopefully.

I know what you mean about social media, but I think for me it will help me stay connected to close ones.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

£50 per day is plenty for most countries. My recent trip to Sri Lanka came out at just over £20 per day, staying in budget hotels. It would cost less in most SEA countries and much less in India. You could just about survive on that in Japan.

You will probably find that Australia is one of the most expensive places, but camping will help.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Thanks Simon. I love Sri Lanka, and I will be returning there again on this trip. I bet you had a wonderful time cycling around it as the people are some of the nicest I have met. All the best. Steve
Holdsworth

Post by Holdsworth »

Congrats Stephen.

I'll be setting off on my RTW adventure shortly after you, in September. So who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in eastern Europe somewhere :D
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

StephenPeel wrote:My daughters and I have iphones and they were showing me all about Facetime for free

Remember FaceTime is only free if you are on wi-fi, if your out and about then FaceTime will be using your data if you make a call on it.

Dave
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I would recommend Tom Allen's guide to adventure cycling, loads of excellent advice but also the repeated encouragement to ignore most of the advice and just get going - bon voyage and chapeau
leadale

Post by leadale »

I cycled from the UK to Singapore in 84 my advice is your health is the big issue at your age. At a minimum get shots for hepatitis A B and C or you'll certainly get one of them, consider rabies shots as necessary and typhoid tetanus and yellow fever if you're going to Africa.
Take spares - I tyre 2 tubes, spare spokes, brake cables, and shifter cables you won't find any of these in the boondocks. Learn how to true a wheel, take a sheet sleeping bag and pillow case unless you relish grubby bedding in grubby hotels, always take your bike and gear into your room, it's not an issue doing this in most of the world. Keep your travel documents and money in a waterproof bag on you always, never leave them in your room.
In hot places, you need to drink a lot of water take quick action water purification tabs. Never unless unavoidable ride at night its too hard to see traffic and potholes. And make sure you have full insurance for accidents and repatriation should you have a bad accident, you don't want a broken leg fixed in a boondock clinic you will need to come home for that, insurance is vital.
It's a good idea to take a supply of vitamin and perhaps fish oil supplements to help with what might be a very basic diet at times. It's a long way around the world, so when you're feeling a bit worn out take time off and relax in a decent hotel and treat yourself to a little holiday.
You'll meet many helpful people and they will help you sort out many local problems, and a few who will cause you some stress especially at borders and checkpoints, never lose your cool and argue by shouting or gesticulating it will only cause more problems, in Africa and Asia losing face is a serious thing so politeness to officials is important, not like here. It is inevitable you will get sick probably stomach problems and diarrhea so take a supply of treatments your doctor will prescribe you a good range of medications for this if you tell him where you're going. - good luck and as my favorite adventurer - Bill Tilman said " All you need for an adventure is to put on a good pair of boots and walk out the door"
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

Wow, some great advice.
Not cycling, but I used to carry my passport and cash and a card in a thin leather pouch around my neck, under my shirt at all times.
I guess your best bet with that is to spread it about is that right?
Only lose a small amount if it is spread out on your person, in your bags and secreted in stems and posts on the bike for example?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Best of luck with your tour.
I'll second or third, Sri Lanka.
Excellent location. But pick your time of year. Monsoons from different directions........
Re costs; cheapest countries for me were Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. Plus great folk and scenery. But definitely not a winter location.
It's not going to be all about costs, of course. But I think of budgeting as a way to extend the tour.
And I've heard of folk taking a month or so out to rest and work, to help out the finances.
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Stradageek wrote:I would recommend Tom Allen's guide to adventure cycling, loads of excellent advice but also the repeated encouragement to ignore most of the advice and just get going - bon voyage and chapeau

That's right, it's a personal thing I guess. Thanks. Steve
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

leadale wrote:good luck and as my favorite adventurer - Bill Tilman said " All you need for an adventure is to put on a good pair of boots and walk out the door"

Loads of great advice. Thank you