Rack Pack recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Re: Rack Pack recommendations

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Good way of judging the field. Thumbs up. Would you need a support for the Nelson LF?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Good way of judging the field. Thumbs up. Would you need a support for the Nelson LF?

I'm going to try it without, and then get one if I need one - there is another thread running about supports
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

If you use the saddlebag you may find it sits nicely on the rear rack with no need for a support. I use a cadet and a tubus fly as its support. Depends on the drop from your saddle. Your very lightweight rack will be similar in weight to a steel bagman I guess.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

geocycle wrote:If you use the saddlebag you may find it sits nicely on the rear rack with no need for a support. I use a cadet and a tubus fly as its support. Depends on the drop from your saddle. Your very lightweight rack will be similar in weight to a steel bagman I guess.

Other than it looking a bit odd, are there any disadvantages to this compared with the Carradice supports? The weight is almost identical
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mnichols wrote:
geocycle wrote:If you use the saddlebag you may find it sits nicely on the rear rack with no need for a support. I use a cadet and a tubus fly as its support. Depends on the drop from your saddle. Your very lightweight rack will be similar in weight to a steel bagman I guess.

Other than it looking a bit odd, are there any disadvantages to this compared with the Carradice supports? The weight is almost identical

Not really, the rack is a stronger support but it depends exactly on the drop as to how well this works. I just leave my rack on as sometimes panniers make more sense on a multituse bike for example when shopping. I use a saddle bag on the folder from time to time without a support at all. This rides ok but I'd be slightly concerned about the weight on the saddle and loops for a tour.