Rack Pack recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Rack Pack recommendations

Post by mnichols »

Any recommendations for a large but light rack pack (+17 litres)?

I've got panniers but as per my other post, would like to minimise the aero-dynamic drag. I'm doing an LeJog with a bunch of racing snakes and they are going very fast in training, so I need to do all I can to make it a bit easier

I've tried using dry-bags, but these seem a bit of a faff, and it's not easy to get to things when you need to. I don't really like pure back packing as I don't like all the weight on the seat post and the swinging about, so looking for a hybrid solution to carry 15 - 20 litres of stuff on the top of a rack

Any suggestions?
foxyrider

Re: Rack Pack recommendations

Post by foxyrider »

The Altura range are good value with a variety of size options. There is an Ortlieb set up but it is quite pricey.

The problem can be that the weight is high up and can end up 'sloshing' from side to side. A good seatpost mounted system like the Ortlieb SeatPack will actually waggle about less.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

This Lomo one looks pretty good value but maybe too much like a dry bag if you dislike them.
http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-b ... l-bag.html
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

rualexander wrote:This Lomo one looks pretty good value but maybe too much like a dry bag if you dislike them.
http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-b ... l-bag.html

That looks perfect :D

Bargain price as well.

Would like to see it attach to the seat post as well, but I'm sure that I could sort something out.

I'll give them a call in the morning to see what the return policy is, just in case it doesn't fit the bike, but looks like just what I'm looking for, although there is no mention of the weight?

One thing I note is that it says 15 litres, but if I remember my maths to work out volume in litres you just times length by width by breadth in cm and divide by 1000. It says that it's 42x25x25 which would make it 26 litres?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Haven't done your maths but could some of the apparent difference be accounted for by the folding you need to do to close/waterproof it?

I have a couple of lomo dry bags. The material is stiffer than that used by ortlieb which can be a bit offputting at first but they are well made and have attachment points which ortlieb dry bags don't have.

Rather liked the look of that bag for putting sideways on my rack when touring as it's a nice size, but the external velcro might put me off. Superfluous for my purposes, but not for yours.
Sweep
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Sweep wrote:Haven't done your maths but could some of the apparent difference be accounted for by the folding you need to do to close/waterproof it?

I have a couple of lomo dry bags. The material is stiffer than that used by ortlieb which can be a bit offputting at first but they are well made and have attachment points which ortlieb dry bags don't have.

Rather liked the look of that bag for putting sideways on my rack when touring as it's a nice size, but the external velcro might put me off. Superfluous for my purposes, but not for yours.

Are they heavy? I'm a bit of a weight weenie, but guessing that one of these would be lighter than two small Ortileb City Panniers?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you get something like http://www.altura.eu/products/detail/ALTRTRACKX?ng=49

You can get to 19 litres with the 'drop down' pockets. If you unzip the sides, you get mini panniers.

I have an older version; it was a Christmas present maybe 8 or 9 years ago, and it has held up very well.

Even with the drop down pockets out, it has a much, smaller profile than traditional panniers. My road bike has a rack, but I can't use full size panniers on it because I kick them. I can use the rack pack with the pockets out with no problem.

I love mine, and will replace it with something similar when it dies.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mnichols wrote:
Are they heavy? I'm a bit of a weight weenie, but guessing that one of these would be lighter than two small Ortileb City Panniers?

Haven't weighed them but I have the impression that they are a fair bit heavier than ortlieb equivelents. Doesn't bother me and in truth i don't think it should bother you. Aftervall if you wereca real weight weenie you would be using those lightweight dry sacks - mysteriously, or not, they cost a fair bit more. I have some but only use occasionally and for temporary use. I don't believe that they are anywhere near as durable as traditional bags. Relax, enjoy your trip :)
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ps, if you change your mind on panniers but are looking for a minimal set-up, I can recommend the tubus fly rack:

https://www.evanscycles.com/tubus-fly-r ... GwodNtcHYQ

Just think of all those grams saved on your rack :)

Not cheap but excellent quality and may outlive a bike or two.

Tortec do something similar looking available for closer to £20.
Sweep
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Sweep wrote:Ps, if you change your mind on panniers but are looking for a minimal set-up, I can recommend the tubus fly rack:

https://www.evanscycles.com/tubus-fly-r ... GwodNtcHYQ

Just think of all those grams saved on your rack :)

Not cheap but excellent quality and may outlive a bike or two.

Tortec do something similar looking available for closer to £20.

I've got the Tubus Airey Ti, which is very light and great for panniers, but you can't put anything on the top. My default setup will be the Tubus Airey with two Ortileb Front City Roller Panniers, but even these at 12 litres each have more space than I need for summer credit card touring. I'm edging towards something like the Ortileb Seat Pack for when I'm not touring in the winter, or in the mountains. If I take the warm layers out (thick gloves, overshoes, puffa jacket) out then I think I could get away with 17 litres easily
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mnichols wrote:I've got the Tubus Airey Ti, which is very light and great for panniers, but you can't put anything on the top.

Oo, TI, you are a weight weenie aren't you?

Not relevant to your lejog dash, but I have used the fly with two small panniers and a 13 litre ortlieb dry bag strapped across the top sideways, supported by the panniers beyond the rack. It worked fine.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:I love mine, and will replace it with something similar when it dies.

Be aware that some similar ones don't last long if you actually put much in the unfolded side compartments :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mnichols wrote:I've tried using dry-bags, but these seem a bit of a faff, and it's not easy to get to things when you need to. I don't really like pure back packing as I don't like all the weight on the seat post and the swinging about, so looking for a hybrid solution to carry 15 - 20 litres of stuff on the top of a rack

Any suggestions?

Alpkit now do double-ended dry bags which make it slightly easier to get to things when you need to, but it might be slightly smaller than you want: https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok- ... l-20-litre - I've used their 13 litre for day trips in the hammering rain.

An old-school option would be a canvas roll holdall and strap it down with cam-buckle straps, but you might want a rain cover over that too, which makes access harder... but will you really open it much when it's raining?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I toured the Tirol last year on my carbon race bike with my Carry Ti rack and a pair of Roller front bags. Plenty of spare space for waterproofs and off bike footwear. Total luggage for the trip was 8kg. The kilo of the bags wasn't worth worrying about. Total all up (including bike) weight 15.5kg plus me!

You could of course go lighter on the bags I made a pair of panniers using mid weight dry bags a few years ago, same capacity as front rollers but less than half the weight (they use Ortlieb mounting hardware which of course just bolts into place). The same basic principal would allow you to make a pair of very light and smaller capacity bags to hang on your Airy. (search for ultralight panniers for links to photographic construction guide)

Clearly you can select dry bags to suit your needs - the sea to summit ultrasil nano come in at 52g a pair in 13 litre size (I use mine to keep dirty and clean stuff separate in my rollers). I reckon that could give you a pair of smaller panniers knocking on the 400g area or less.

I may well make some myself - after all I already have the hardware!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

foxyrider wrote:You could of course go lighter on the bags I made a pair of panniers using mid weight dry bags a few years ago, same capacity as front rollers but less than half the weight (they use Ortlieb mounting hardware which of course just bolts into place). The same basic principal would allow you to make a pair of very light and smaller capacity bags to hang on your Airy. (search for ultralight panniers for links to photographic construction guide)
I may well make some myself - after all I already have the hardware!

I think I've seen these in previous posts - they look great. I've got a pair of front city rollers that I like but it's the aero-drag of having something attached to the side that I'm trying to reduce. If my touring companions weren't going so fast, on ultra light carbon bikes I'd be using these and will do for my other tours, but I think I'd like to try something 'straight out back'

mjr wrote:Alpkit now do double-ended dry bags which make it slightly easier to get to things when you need to, but it might be slightly smaller than you want: https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok- ... l-20-litre - I've used their 13 litre for day trips in the hammering rain.

Thanks. It was actually these that I tried, but wasn't happy with the way it attached to the rack. I secure it with bungees, which seemed ok, but not sure how it would be with an unevenly packed bag of odds and sods. It's also not a great fit with the Tubus Airey.

As all the companies have good return policies I've ordered loads of stuff (Alpkit bags, Alpkit Rack, Tortec Rack, Lomo Bag, Ortileb Massive Seat Pack and Ortileb Rack Pack. They should all be here next week. I'll spend a few hours in the garage seeing what works best and post back