Bilbao to Malaga

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Bilbao to Malaga

Post by mnichols »

Been a bit spontaneous today and booked a flight to Bilbao early June, and a flight out of Malaga ten days later

Any tips on a good route? Things to see, things to avoid on the way?

Also, any experience of using a CTC clear plastic bag on RyanAir out of Malaga? Or friendly bike shops that might provide a free cardboard box in Malaga?
max

Re: Bilbao to Malaga

Post by max »

I've not wridden that but you'll probably want to avoid Madrid of course, there is Via de la Plata which goes from Zamora (nw of madrid) to Seville, you could cut east before then and go towards Malaga. Or going south of Bilbao then skirting north of Madrid will take you through two national parks. Either way it'll be lovely, bien viaje.
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I'm following this with interest.

Would love to do something similar in June over 8 Days.
Nigelrojo

Post by Nigelrojo »

I would definitely pass to the west of Madrid; better scenery than to the east. You are in for some serious climbs: Cantabrian range, Sierra de Guadarrama, Sierra de Gredos, Sierra Morena. Most mountain ranges in Spain run East-West. Temperatures will probably range from quite pleasant in the mountains to Rather Hot down on the plains. I would try to see Avila, El Escorial / Valle de los Caidos, possible Segovia. Or if you sweep wide to the west: Salmanca, Caceres and Sevilla. Some nice little places up in the mountains west of Madrid like Guadalupe and Jarandilla, but lots of climbing to get to them. As long as you don't mind grinding up those hills, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Nigelrojo wrote:I would definitely pass to the west of Madrid; better scenery than to the east. You are in for some serious climbs: Cantabrian range, Sierra de Guadarrama, Sierra de Gredos, Sierra Morena. Most mountain ranges in Spain run East-West. Temperatures will probably range from quite pleasant in the mountains to Rather Hot down on the plains. I would try to see Avila, El Escorial / Valle de los Caidos, possible Segovia. Or if you sweep wide to the west: Salmanca, Caceres and Sevilla. Some nice little places up in the mountains west of Madrid like Guadalupe and Jarandilla, but lots of climbing to get to them. As long as you don't mind grinding up those hills, I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Thanks - sounds great
Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield »

We are wondering about that route too - Santander to Malaga -late May early June.
It would be great if you could post occasional updates on your planning.
I've just bought the Michelin road atlas for Spain for the detailed planning and waiting for the arrival of the whole country map.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The route is now planned and the hotels booked:

Day Start Stop Miles Climbing (ft)
1 Bilbao Castildelgado 74 6,004
2 Castildelgado Caleruega 74 4,430
3 Caleruega Segovia 80 3,441
4 Segovia Torrijos 85.5 5,630
5 Torrijos Retuerta de Bullaque 65 3,250
6 Retuerta de Bullaque Argamasilla de Calatrava 76.5 3,098
7 Argamasilla de Calatrava Andújar 79 6,626
8 Andújar Iznájar 70 6,023
9 Iznájar Malaga 66 6,352
Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield »

That's brilliant. Thank you very much :D
Grumpyoldbiker

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

Hi
How did it go?
I'm interested in doing something similar.
Regards
Peter
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:Hi
How did it go?
Regards
Peter

I'm not going until September. Route is planned. Booking flights and hotels in Thursday. I know the dates and the flights, just have to book them and agree accommodation with the chap i'm going with
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:Hi
How did it go?
Regards
Peter

I'm not going until September. Route is planned. Booking flights and hotels in Thursday. I know the dates and the flights, just have to book them and agree accommodation with the chap i'm going with

I like to have my year planned early so I can plan my training

I'm actually very spontaneous....providing that I get plenty of notice, the activity has been well planned and all the risks have been thought through and mitigated.....well you only live once