Flying with Ryanair - T&C's

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham O

Flying with Ryanair - T&C's

Post by Graham O »

As my trip to Portugal is getting closer, I'm trying to finalise all the details and the only bike carriage information, I have for Ryanair, is that bikes can weigh up to 30kg and must be in a protective bag or case. There is no mention of turning handlebars, removing pedals, letting air out of tyres etc. Does anyone have any more information, or experience which makes the situation more complicated please? Somethings like removing pedals make sense anyway, but I'm in two minds about adjusting the headset to turn or remove the bars. (Do bars get bent when mishandled?)

Thanks
simonhill

Re: Flying with Ryanair - T&C's

Post by simonhill »

I fly quite a lot and it is standard practice to remove pedals and turn handlebars, at the very least. I am surprised that it isn't mention in their T&Cs. Maybe Ryanair just assume you will have to do this to get it in a box or bag.

Nonetheless, your bike will be handled by the airport's baggage handlers and I imagine that they will want it packed in a the 'normal' manner. Also, a bike in a bag with handlebars sticking out is liable to have problems when being put on automated baggage systems.

Air in tyres is another variable one. I usually box, so they can't see if I've let the tyres down. I always say I have, although they are only half down. I flew once with Easyjet, using a plastic bag. They don't want tyres deflated, but the baggage handlers tore the bag to get at the valves to let all the air out. Obviously they aren't physicists and don't understand the pointlessness of their action.

My normal approach to flying with my bike is to do everything possible to conform to any rules, regs and standard practices, however pointless, so as not to give them any reason to refuse me.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Managed to get a chat with Ryanair's Live Chat and their only extra information over the T&Cs is that the maximum size for the packed bike is 119 *119* 81cm. Will have to measure if I can fit my bike in a bag that long without taking the wheels off. (Edit, just realised that is too short with wheels on.)

Otherwise it is a 30kg limit and the bike must be in a protective bag or box.

Sounds simple (but just in case, have printed out the Live Chat dialogue).
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Graham O wrote:..... the maximum size for the packed bike is 119 *119* 81cm..

Never come across that before, most bagged or boxed bikes will be over those dimensions, maybe the person you spoke to got their facts wrong?
Flown with Ryanair many times, always turn bars and remove pedals but don't deflate tyres if possible.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My guess is that the 119 is the max dimension for normal luggage.

When you pay the extra for a bike you should get a limit that a standard bike box or a bike in a bag, will fit in.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

It does sound a bit small and as you say, could apply to normal luggage. When I was looking at flights, I certainly came across a set of dimensions which would take the bike with wheels on, but that could have been Easyjet. I'll check it tonight.

Rualexander - presumably you ship your bike with wheels on?

Thanks for your input.

(Been trying to work out how to modify the bike bag to take "wheels off" stowage. Got to make the bag this weekend.)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've just read the conditions. Three paras down from the very basic bike para is this:

"For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment."

So it seems that they do have a max of 119. I suspect this is a mistake which they don't apply to oversize baggage. I've come across a similar inconsistency with a couple of Asian airlines. Its not only bikes, but skis, surfboards, etc would all exceed this limit. Nonetheless, it is their rule and they could choose to apply it.

As Rual said, people often fly with bikes with Ryanair, so you should be OK, but it is a bit worrying.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I've just found this on a generic travel website:

"(Ryanair) Exceptional items

Sporting equipment, such as snowboards, skis, golf clubs or bikes, and large musical instruments may be checked into the hold in addition to other checked baggage, as long as each item does not exceed 20 kg (or 30 kg for bikes). Prices vary according to item. The fee for a ‘large sports item’, for example, is £50/€50, one way, or £60/€60 if paid via the telephone or at the airport. Bikes cost £60/€60 online or £70/€70 at the airport/ by telephone."

I'll have to try the Live Chat again and find out about "large sports items"
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Graham O wrote:
Rualexander - presumably you ship your bike with wheels on?

Should have said, I take the front wheel off and strap it to the frame, with a protective spacer in the front forks between the dropouts. I just do this for convenience and so it fits my Ground Effect Body Bag, but it would still be longer than 119cm, I have seen others leave the front wheel in place.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Haven't used Ryanair for years, altogether with Easyjet their fees for carrying bikes have become silly expensive.
But I had used the VK Strongbox that is quite long and tall, no problems.

BTW, worth reminding that it seems all the companies would consider "sports equipment" as a maximum value of £1200, so a bike that would cost more than this can be a trouble to ask a refund in case it gets lots (I lived 3 days in fear when my bike case -with a test-bike inside- got lost by Heatrow's baggage handling facilities!)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Hopefully, this is now sorted. The answer back this morning is that the size does not matter, only the weight restriction. That should make life easier.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Good news.

It would also be good if they amended their T&Cs accordingly. As I said above a Japanese Airline had a similar anomaly, but they have now corrected it with a max length for bikes specifically mentioned..........But that's the Japanese.

Have a great trip.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

simonhill wrote:
Have a great trip.

Thanks. 5 weeks today, I'll be quivering with excitement at Liverpool Airport. :D

Just got the panniers and bike bag to make now.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Flight regulations for cycles have got a lot more stringent over the last 20 years.

Lats time I flew, they stipulated the max size and I had to cut the card board box accordingly ( a standard cycle one ) to meet their requirements.

However, I have always removed pedals, wheels, handlebars and dropped the seatpost.

I have seen what happens to unwieldy weighty boxes and it's room 101 stuff if you expect to cycle on the other side.

If you struggle to walk and carry the bike, so will the airport staff and they have no love for, nor need to ride your bike. It is but a problem that can be thrown.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
kevler

Post by kevler »

Hi there people!
Helpful thread thanks.

Did anyone have direct experience this year flying with ryanair with 1x checked in bike? If so what were your dimensions?

@ Graham O did you have a bike box in the end? and if so what were its dimensions and how was your experience all ok?

The box i recycled from Decathlon is 179cm (Length) x 20cm (width) x 112cm height. I intend to pack in my touring bike along with all equipment to be under 30kg. i am guessing this is ok (paid 60€ to add 1x bike).

It doesn't make sense to me to pay extra and then to be restricted to 119cm x 119cm x 81cm.

Not being predigest, but please info/advice from people who have recently flown with bike with ryanair.