Recommend a front carrier for camping gear

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I've recently changed out some cheap SUS forks with a pair of Surly Ogre forks. These are fitted with a plethora of hardware for facilitating fitting stuff.

My cycle touring is becoming more frequent and I would like to include my camping gear within my luggage to keep costs reasonable. I have an old (20 yr plus) Saunders jetpacker tent and a reasonably lightweight sleeping bag which I would like to carry up front. Max weight of both items well below 4 kgs.

I have recently noticed these quasi front 'racks' being sold by SJS; https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-ra ... age-black/

Anyone have any experience with these items, or any pertinent comments as to their suitability?

I have a front dynohub light fitted at the fork crown and thus the more traditional style of front carrier would probably interfere with that. A camper longflap and Altura Arran panniers give more than enough capacity aft for my needs...I don't sweat much (or if I do I can't smell it!!),

Thanks for any inputs,

All the best, Simon
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Simon. As you want just the tent and sleeping bag up front, how about just a bar bag of sorts? Harness with a dry bag for the sleeping bag and the tent behind that. What handlebars? Alpkit or Revelate perhaps? You could even go without the harness and just use an Alpkit Duolok which comes with handy straps.
SimonCelsa

Re: Recommend a front carrier for camping gear

Post by SimonCelsa »

That's something to ponder HC but it seems a shame not to utilise at least a few of the drillings & tappings available in the forks!

I have the Genetic Digest flared 'drops' with bar end shifters so there is probably sufficient space to lash something up I would imagine,

Cheers, all the best, Simon
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Yes. I've seen those forks in the flesh. Lovely. You are right, probably use them. Charlie the Bikemonger sells the Salsa 'Anything' cages. There are also 'gorilla' cages which I looked at once when I was in the middle of a bikepacking dream

http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/free-p ... PkNrVTTWf0
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

they seem to be a special case of low rider. As such If they dont bolt THRU the forks rather than on tabs on them I would hesitate with them.

wouldnt it be easier to add a rear rack?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I've got a rear rack....It's carrying the longflap and Altura bags,

All the best, Simon
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SimonCelsa wrote:...

I have recently noticed these quasi front 'racks' being sold by SJS; https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-ra ... age-black/

Anyone have any experience with these items, or any pertinent comments as to their suitability?

I have a front dynohub light fitted at the fork crown and thus the more traditional style of front carrier would probably interfere with that. A camper longflap and Altura Arran panniers give more than enough capacity aft for my needs...I don't sweat much (or if I do I can't smell it!!),

Thanks for any inputs,

All the best, Simon

a friend of mine does use them cages on the forks, they work quite well! Just make sure you don't overdo with the diameter of the bag strapped in.
In this case, he had a sleeping pad at one side, and a sleeping quilt on the other.
(the bike on the right)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Thanks for the info Gattonero. From your photo and advice I think they would be worth a punt so I'll try a pair,

All the best, Simon