Mull road closure

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ambodach

Mull road closure

Post by ambodach »

The bridge at Knock will be closed until the end of June. This means that from Salen the road south to Iona is closed. Since this is a bridge over a river there seems no possibility of getting past even on a bike. The chances of wading I think are pretty slim. Not been down for a look yet but mebbe this weekend.
gloomyandy

Re: Mull road closure

Post by gloomyandy »

Hmm I assume that is on B8035? I'd welcome any updates, I'm staying on the west coast north of there at the end of June and had plans that would probably mean using that road. Thanks for the heads up!
JonWright

Post by JonWright »

Just looked into this at - https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/knock-bridge-b8035-mull

'*Pedestrian Access

Pedestrians & cyclists will be accommodated whenever it is safe to do so throughout the works. Pedestrian access will be managed in the same way as during the previous bridge closure in February. Any cyclists wishing to cross Knock Bridge will be able to dismount and walk their bikes over. Any unsafe-to-cross periods will be kept to a minimum and we do not anticipate any long periods when the bridge cannot be crossed at any point during the works. The previous closure did not involve any long periods and whilst the works are for the entire bridge this time, the section repaired in February required more intensive repairs than the sections being repaired this time. If anything unforeseen happens during the works that would affect pedestrian access in any way, this page will be updated immediately.'

So it should be OK.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Sorry I did not make this clearer. It is indeed the B8035. Since this closure is for a longish time I assumed the whole bridge deck would be replaced although the side walls are obviously dodgy. Anyone coming from the south would be well advised to check before committing to this road. There is a sportive in early June which uses this route so I assume arrangements will be in place for this. Argyll & Bute council pronouncements I usually take with a pinch of salt. This run down to the hill top above Balmeanach is one of my favourite runs as the views are spectacular.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Today there was access ok for bikes but nobody working. One side of the bridge largely demolished and stones piled on the other side. One side effect is that cycling a real pleasure. In 20 mile out and back passed 4 moving vehicles with another 8 parked at the Ben More track. Lots of vehicles parked at Salen side so foot access is obviously needed for local residents. Cycling as it used to be when I first moved to Mull 45 years ago.
robing

Post by robing »

Is this the bridge between Aros and Salen where the road splits in two?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

No, it's here on the B8035 that goes west from Salen through to Loch-na-Keal
robing

Post by robing »

Ah thanks. Going to Mull next month. Hoping to camp at Killiecronan so this might affect me.