parking in Cardiff for Lon Las Cymru

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neilwragg

parking in Cardiff for Lon Las Cymru

Post by neilwragg »

I'm riding the Lon Las Cymru this weekend and wondered if anyone knew where I could leave my car or even had a spare space on their drive for a few days? I'm getting the train from Cardiff on Thursday to Holyhead then cycling back to the car.
Thanks in advance
Neil
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
honesty

Re: parking in Cardiff for Lon Las Cymru

Post by honesty »

most (all now?) public car parks in Cardiff are ran by UCP and are silly expensive. A lot of the roads near the city centre will have restricted parking (usually by hours or residents only). When I used to live there Cathedral road was a good place to park as it's a large road near to the city centre and didnt have parking limits on it. it's also in a reasonable area of town. I would not do the same thing in Grangetown or Riverside or Splott...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Not in Cardiff, but in Wick (20 miles to the West) Driveway available. PM if interested.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Penarth is a small seaside town beside Cardiff Bay (the end of Lon Las Cymru is there, I guess). You can cycle across the barrage to reach Cardiff Bay and the end of the trail. Use google maps street images to find a safe looking street with easy parking where leaving a car is unlikely to annoy anyone.

(A quick look on google maps street view has come up with Paget Pl overlooking the Bay and a minute or so from the barrage (shared use track). Looks like you would easily find a spot that is safe, overlooked by houses but not directly outside someone's home. Not a bad area so not too much to worry about)
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

Have you had a look at park on my drive? We use them instead of public car parking when having to leave the car for a few nights upwards.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There's a Park and Ride that operates from Comapnies House and uses the car park there, might be worth a search to see if that's an option. It's £3 to park and get the bus into central Cardiff, or was the last time we used it.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

Thanks all, found a side road next to the marina near IKEA, returned to the car after 250 miles in three days and got home for tea on Sunday!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Beautiful bike, Neil, but did you find those gears adequate in the hills?

Saddle looks like a Swift. I once had one of those and found it comfy.

That IKEA is a place my family drag me into, kicking and screaming.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

could have done with a smaller inner chainring, pedalled in triangles for many miles!
pwa

Post by pwa »

neilwragg wrote:could have done with a smaller inner chainring, pedalled in triangles for many miles!

But you made it. Well done. Still a very nice bike, though, even if you were asking it to do something slightly outside its design brief. If it were my bike and I intended doing that sort of trip with it again I'd think about getting a spare chainset and bottom bracket to swap over a day or two before setting off, and swap back again on the return. A smallest ring of about 28 or 26 might be good, with the front mech slid down a touch 9if it will do that). Just a thought.