Train from Amsterdam to Mainz

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richyg

Train from Amsterdam to Mainz

Post by Richyg »

Hi I'm trying to book train tickets with bikes from Amsterdam to Mainz however it DB Bahn will not allow me to buy tickets with bikes included saying I need to ring the office or just proceed without booking the bikes on. Does anybody know if I am able to purchase bike tickets at the station but I'm concerned that they may not have availability. Anybody else experienced this? any advise would be appreciated
foxyrider

Re: Train from Amsterdam to Mainz

Post by foxyrider »

Have you actually rung DB's office? They really are helpful with this sort of stuff and should be able to sort through ticketing for you. It helps if you already know the connections you want to use. For cross border services you need an international bike permit.

I did a Hamburg - Rotterdam trip a couple of years ago and they sorted it all out in about ten minutes!

Otherwise in Germany at least buying a bike ticket is easy at most mainline stations - the only trains with restrictions are the ICE/Express trains.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Richyg wrote:Hi I'm trying to book train tickets with bikes from Amsterdam to Mainz however it DB Bahn will not allow me to buy tickets with bikes included saying I need to ring the office or just proceed without booking the bikes on. Does anybody know if I am able to purchase bike tickets at the station but I'm concerned that they may not have availability. Anybody else experienced this? any advise would be appreciated

If you want to book an international ticket for railtravel with a bike the usual advice in NL is to ignore the rail companies and go to the experts: treinreiswinkel.nl
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

As I understand it you can book a cross border ticket with bike from DB if the route starts or finishes in Germany.
Last September I booked a ticket with my bike from Vienna to Passau.
I had to do this by phone using the London DB office. The tickets were promptly delivered.
I'd like to do these bookings by internet but haven't found a site that lets me do it.
Richyg

Post by Richyg »

Thanks all , I'll give DB office a call
Tomorrow
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

A bit late to the party, but the people you want to deal with are NS International - the international division of the Dutch train service.

You will need to call them to book the bike(s), or maybe email. You cannot book the bike through the website Tel: +31 30 2300023

It's a great service and if you book in advance the prices can be great.

Amsterdam to Mainz will be 1 change in Dusseldorf, and you'll get a specific reservation for the bike too.
Richyg

Post by Richyg »

It's all booked now thanks, DB office was great and tickets arrived next day !!