Whitby to Osmotherley - advice wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ray

Whitby to Osmotherley - advice wanted

Post by Ray »

I'm planning a route for a group of experienced continental riders visiting Yorkshire in September, and would appreciate advice, particularly for the above leg.

Here is a possible route - http://cycle.travel/map/journey/30269
The 'detour' to Great Ayton is to a possible lunch stop (Fletchers' Farm), but if anyone can suggest anywhere else that might cater for around 50 at one sitting, I'd readily change the route.

Having ridden in the area in the past, I know very well it's hilly. I don't mind hilly, and I want folks to get the real flavour of the moors, but it's not my intention to seek out every killer slope. All the riders know what they're doing, but some may not be as young or as finely-honed as they were. Including me!

I'll be staying in Westerdale, just off the line of the route, in June, and plan to look at the roads in detail.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Ray

Re: Whitby to Osmotherley - advice wanted

Post by Ray »

I'm giving this a bump to appeal again for local knowledge of the route up Eskdale. I'm all set to ride it next week (installed some bigger sprockets and checked my brakes!), but it would be really helpful to hear from anyone who's ridden that way in the last year or two.

Is there a (somewhat!) easier route and, specifically, what's the best way out of Whitby, given that we're setting off from the YH. Do we really have to walk down the 199 steps, or would we be better to go out 'the back way'?

And where to stop for lunch?

Any help much appreciated.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
sabrutat

Re: Whitby to Osmotherley - advice wanted

Post by sabrutat »

Can't really help with the catering question, but I have cycled that route, and the 165 many times, both loaded and unloaded. I think the views might be better from the 165, but the farm track section from Sleights to Aislaby is really too rough for road bikes, and diversions to get around this section result in busy main roads.

One food recommendation I can make is the butcher's in Sleights make one of the best pork pies around, and they're also available in the Birch Hall Inn in Beck Hole, which is a gem of a pub that brews its own excellent beer called Beckwatter. It's a very tiny place, seemingly stuck in the 1950s in an absolute peach of a village, and a crowd of 50 descending on it would be literally ridiculous, but that could also be part of the charm.