Bike box storage at Porto airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mrs Jones

Bike box storage at Porto airport

Post by Mrs Jones »

Does anyone know if bike boxes can be stored at Porto (Portugal) airport? There is some info about baggage storage on the airport website but it says about weight and nothing about dimensions and then says to make a reservation but no desk contact info? Anyone done it? Thanks
Graham O

Re: Bike box storage at Porto airport

Post by Graham O »

Was only looking at that yesterday, but couldn't find an answer. My bike bag is quite small, so not a problem for me. It does refer to storage of bulky items, so probably (hopefully?) not a problem. Depending on when you are going, shall I ask them next week?
borisface

Post by borisface »

There is a left luggage at Porto airport. Arrivals are on the ground floor, but the left luggage is on the first floor. A friend visiting me left his hard case bike bag with them no problem. So you should be fine.
Mrs Jones

Post by Mrs Jones »

Thanks all.

Yes please Graham. Are you touring? I would be grateful to know what the smaller roads are like.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Hi,

Yes, touring for a week. Heading east from Porto on the train then south along the Spanish border for 3 days, then west to hit the coast at Aveiro before north to Porto. From what we've seen in recent years, the smaller roads inland are very empty.

Have you seen this page about left luggage at Porto, https://www.aeroportoporto.pt/en/opo/se ... e-services ?
Another site says that luggage is left at the information desk in departures on the 3rd (?) floor. Will have to find it next week.

Graham
borisface

Post by borisface »

The roads around Porto can be very busy. There is a lot of ribbon development especially along the coast. However, as you get away from the centres of population and further inland the traffic dies away. In rural Portugal, drivers are considerate on the whole. The roads are usually of a good surface, although many towns/villages have cobblestones in the centre. The upper Duoro above Villa Real/Pinhao is spectacular. As is the national park of Geres. The roads are tough going though - very hilly/mountainous and can be extremely remote. Take a waterproof and a long sleeve jersey as the weather can be unpredictable in the north - I live in the centre last week was 9 degrees and very wet, yesterday was 32 and sunny.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

An update as promised. Bag storage including hard cases is not a problem. Go to Information on level 3 and a guy will take you to security and give you a voucher. Pay on recovery. The desk is open from 0500 to 2300. HTH Mrs Jones.