Have they wasted £180,000 at Tanners Hatch YHA? update

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Have they wasted £180,000 at Tanners Hatch YHA? update

Post by mercalia »

Safari Tents at YHA Tanners Hatch.

http://www.yha.org.uk/special-offer/20-tanners-hatch-plus-win-free-stay-safari-tent

if they wanted to attact more camping they should spend some on leveling the ground. I will see if that has been done in a weeks time ( I doubt they have )
Last edited by mercalia on 25 May 2017, 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgurney

Have they wasted £180,000 at Tanners Hatch YHA?

Post by jgurney »

I wonder how much of the available space those things consume.

I also wonder how many people who want one of those are going to be willing to arrive on foot or by bicycle - I associate that kind of thing with motorists, who cannot get to Tanners.
Graham

Re: Have they wasted £180,000 at Tanners Hatch YHA?

Post by Graham »

mmm . They look very nice.

I hope that they last though. I'm thinking mildew and mould when pitched in a woodland environment.

Yurt dwellers know all about this.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

There's already no weekend availability on the safari tents till August. People are keen on this 'glamping' experience too - much more so than I'd have thought ten years ago. I think there is an ever widening gap between city and country and 'city' people like experiencing the country this way.

Some weeks ago there were a series of letters about camping holidays in the Sunday Times travel section - they were nearly all about making your large, compartmentalised tent as little like a tent as possible - camping with all mod cons!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

trouble is may find David Cameron there one week end :wink: now he has got the outdoors bug?

well I hope it dont become Gentrified as thats the only YHA near London where can camp - Holmsbury is really for kid groups. will be interesting to see what they have spent the money on as I was of the opinion it didnt need any work at all, was fine as it was.
robgul

Post by robgul »

All a bit of a change from when I last stayed at Tanners in about 1964 - Jim (later at Ivinghoe YH) was the Warden and IIRC there was no electricity - or if there was it was very limited.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
horizon

Post by horizon »

robgul wrote:All a bit of a change from when I last stayed at Tanners in about 1964 - Jim (later at Ivinghoe YH) was the Warden and IIRC there was no electricity - or if there was it was very limited.

Rob

I stayed in 1969 and there was no electricity then either - which is what made it so amazing. Coming from the city, it was the first time that I had experienced true darkness. Glamping won't do it for young people travelling on their own (it's probably too expensive and will require a group or family booking - I haven't checked.) We've had these discussions elsewhere on the forum but I am wondering now if anyone actually travels on their own anymore. We are becoming a nation of weak and pathetic individuals.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

horizon wrote:
robgul wrote:All a bit of a change from when I last stayed at Tanners in about 1964 - Jim (later at Ivinghoe YH) was the Warden and IIRC there was no electricity - or if there was it was very limited.

Rob

I stayed in 1969 and there was no electricity then either - which is what made it so amazing. Coming from the city, it was the first time that I had experienced true darkness. Glamping won't do it for young people travelling on their own (it's probably too expensive and will require a group or family booking - I haven't checked.) We've had these discussions elsewhere on the forum but I am wondering now if anyone actually travels on their own anymore. We are becoming a nation of weak and pathetic individuals.

I still travel alone, the number of single person households is increasing

The Gatliff Trust hostels, bothies, independent bunkhouses are alternatives to glamping at the YHA. I am a YHA life member, paid GBP 50 about 35 years ago! Does the CTC still do life membership, how much?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well just back from 2 nights camping there. Had a talk with the warden there. The money has re-roofed and re floored the place and re done the kitchen and new beds/bunks and chairs. Also I think he mentioned number of beds gone down from 25 to 15 inside, presumably more space then? Also 2 safari aka Tenko tents ( :lol: ) Makes up the expected numbers I suppose
Seems Like The National Trust who owns both Hindhead and Tanners Hatch wanted both back but the YHA managed to hold onto Tanners hatch with a new 20 year lease: The national trust now rent out Hind head and make a lot of dosh: I think they didnt really want Tanners Hatch, was just gamesmans ship, as there is no car access to Tanners Hatch and they would have had to pay out loads of cash to do the repairs the YHA have done? So enjoy it while you can as I bet the NT will take it back next time now the work has been done? Hindhead went about 5 years ago ( or more)?

click to enlarge
Tanners Hatch  Safari-Tenko Tent YHA
Tanners Hatch Safari-Tenko Tent YHA

There are 2 of these large tents - big enough for maybe 6 people? Each has a large wood burner - you can see the chimney top right. The walls are not canvas but some kind of plastic covered material I think

Tanners hatch is a really nice place to camp - works out just £9/night if you are a member with normally full use of the facilities

My new Tarp-Tent YHA
My new Tarp-Tent YHA

I was surprised how little condensation I got
Tanners Hatch YHA
Tanners Hatch YHA

Tanners Hatch YHA
Tanners Hatch YHA

2 firepits to cook your food over
2 firepits to cook your food over

ps there is plenty of wood around to make your own fire - the warden asks you not to fell any trees :lol:
There are 2 of these firepits
pps hmm maybe I should remove this post as I dont want too many people to discover it :( :lol: