Europe Tour Inspiration

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ollyrowe

Europe Tour Inspiration

Post by ollyrowe »

Hi

I am looking to do a three week tour somewhere in Europe, riding around 100km a day and wild camping where possible. I like hills and wilderness. Does anyone have any tour suggestions? I'd like to utilise trains/ferries where possible but I wouldn't mind cycling somewhere and then flying back.

Many thanks
nickpaton

Re: Europe Tour Inspiration

Post by nickpaton »

Hi Ollie and welcome to the forums

I've just asked a similar question do you might want to check out any replies if/when I get any.

Good luck with wherever you end up going.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

ollyrowe wrote: somewhere in Europe,

Do you mean you are based here and want to go somewhere in mainland Europe, or are you based on another continent and would count here (UK) as part of Europe?

Short of going to Scandinavia or into true mountains, the Scottish Highlands is one of the most empty (and hilly) wildernesses in Europe.

If you look at a population density map such as here, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=europ ... V9iK6NrhGM: you can see that unless you go to Russia, the options for unpopulated wilderness are mainly Scandinavia, inland northern Spain or NW Scotland.

Another possibility, although a bit small for a long tour, is Corsica.

How about ferry from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander and touring around the less populated parts of northern Spain?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

EuroVelo 6 from Vienna to the Black Sea should give you an opportunity for some wilderness, depending on your definition!