Cornwall coast to coast.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Hobbs1951

Cornwall coast to coast.

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Plan to enjoy some cycling in the south west this summer and thinking we'd like to ride the C 2 C, has anyone done this and is it practical on a road bike - albeit one with 700/28 + tyres ?

Or is a mountainbike preferred ?

We're travelling light, going in a van and riding out days, so no big loads.

Thanks, John.
whoof

Re: Cornwall coast to coast.

Post by whoof »

Do you mean this, it's only 11 miles and could be done with 28 mm plus tyres?

https://cycle.travel/route/cornish_coast_to_coast

If you do Hayle to Marazion to you cut this to less than 6 miles.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Appreciate it is only 11 miles, but we are planning a number of longer rides, but this is one we want to do hence the question.

The question is do we need a mountainbike or not ?

Thanks, John.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

No you don't need a mountain bike.
I ride this route on my road bike with 28mm tyres, sometimes 25mm tyres, no problem.
This a monthly, and more, ride for me and my grandson.
Portreath to Devoran then back to the cafe at Bissoe, brekkie and back to Portreath.
We have a caravan at Tolgus Mount which we visit every 3 weeks.

Another nice route is Hayle Lido to Marizon via St. Erth, nice cafe at the Marizion carpark then a ride back to Hayle.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Hayle ... !3e1?hl=en

From Marizon there is a coast path to Penzance, a coast road ride from Penzance to Mousehole, then all the way back to Hayle is a regular ride on a Sunday morning. Not taxing, but nice....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

landsurfer wrote:No you don't need a mountain bike.
I ride this route on my road bike with 28mm tyres, sometimes 25mm tyres, no problem.
This a monthly, and more, ride for me and my grandson.
Portreath to Devoran then back to the cafe at Bissoe, brekkie and back to Portreath.
We have a caravan at Tolgus Mount which we visit every 3 weeks.

Another nice route is Hayle Lido to Marizon via St. Erth, nice cafe at the Marizion carpark then a ride back to Hayle.https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Hayle ... !3e1?hl=en

From Marizon there is a coast path to Penzance, a coast road ride from Penzance to Mousehole, then all the way back to Hayle is a regular ride on a Sunday morning. Not taxing, but nice....

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Jon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry to be a pain :oops: ......... but to do a decent ride C2C across Cornwall, you should really do Morwenstow to Rame.
As the crow flies, it's 43miles.
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 19.57.18.png
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Read the first post Mick... :) ..
"Family Friendly" rides are important if we are to encourage the next generation of cycling masochists, like ourselves ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Mick F wrote:Sorry to be a pain :oops: ......... but to do a decent ride C2C across Cornwall, you should really do Morwenstow to Rame.
As the crow flies, it's 43miles.Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 19.57.18.png

Appreciate your suggestion but this isn't a route as such, like the C2C. I have friends who have lived in the Tamar valley for over 30 years and another who used to live in Calstock...know the area well.

I'm touring South Hams first, just like my Dad did in 1945, then we're seeking a few pocket-sized rides in Cornwall.

John.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rode through and in and out of the South Hams only a few weeks ago.
Excellent ride, but with some hills of course.

My post regarding the Cornwall C2C was to illustrate the distance as opposed to the other suggestions.

If it were me doing a C2C, I'd start from Plymouth and cross the Cremyll Ferry to Mount Edgecumb then down to Rame Head, then turn to pass Whitsands Bay, then Crafthole, St Germans, Landrake and cross the A38, Blunts, Callington, Stoke Climsland, Rezare, Launceston, B3254 via West Curry, Whitstone, Bridgerule (technically in England), Kilkampton, Shop, Morwenstow and then reach the English border.

58 miles.
Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 08.20.55.png
Mick F. Cornwall