Packing camping gear?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Packing camping gear?

Post by Vorpal »

I've not generally had a problem, as long as I don't plan on a 6 am breakfast or something. It does require keeping in mind opening hours, and stopping late afternoon for evening supplies and that sort of thing. In the touristy areas, along the Norfolk coast, there are usually some breakfast places the open early. Otherwise, you're likely to be limited to the closest Co-op or Spar, or stuff that you buy the evening before. The same applies out of season.

I think it's a fair point, but not one I would give much consideration to in booking. I would pay attention to such hings en route. However, I've cycled / toured in Norfolk a fair few times, and I don't recall ever having to go much out of my way for a shop or breakfast. Norfolk is nice in that it is relatively quiet and rural without being remote. Villages tend to be only a few miles apart, and if one doesn't have amenities the next usually does. I've had more trouble in rural Scotland or the north of England (as in took a taxi from a B&B to a pub once because there was nothing within tired-cyclist distance).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote:Is it like that in the Netherlands too? I like the idea of setting off and having a breakfast on the go. Afterall "we're on holiday!"

In the Netherlands, B&Bs and hotels often operate their breakfast bars as restaurants. They are open to the public. You pay a fee (sometimes when you enter & sometimes afterward), and get the same service as people staying in the hotel, so, you can stop at hotels on the way if you want to do that. There are also breakfast cafes in some places. Most cities have some, and they are also along main routes. If you are cycling along routes away from the main roads, they can be harder to find, but just ask locals. Some campgrounds also have breakfast services.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:I didn't suggest it was unusual just that I wouldn't rely on finding one when I needed one. By comparison when i've been in Europe bakeries with a café can be found open from 7am in almost every village.

Early-opening small bakeries are more widespread, sure, but I've still been left looking for breakfast too long in some places without a bakery where a cafe didn't open until 9 and there was only an everything-in-plastic small supermarket opening at 8. I'd recommend scouting out where there might be breakfast the evening before and carry a few flapjacks and dried fruit just in case, even in Europe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the subject of eating out, a lot of pubs do meals but for historic reasons to do with liquor licensing hours, few do breakfast, with the exception of the Wetherspoons chain. Some don't even bother to open at all for lunch, especially in the early part of the week.

Having said that, some pubs have developed the "inn" side of their trade and have concentrated more on food than booze, becoming small or medium hotels. A bit of online research covering the areas you intend to visit may help avoid disappointment. It may not be obvious from the street outside if somewhere is open, usually because they offer sleeping accommodation, or closed till later in the day.

They do a nice breakfast at Thornham deli if you are in that area, but not cheap.
http://thornhamdeli.co.uk/
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:On the subject of eating out, a lot of pubs do meals but for historic reasons to do with liquor licensing hours, few do breakfast, with the exception of the Wetherspoons chain. Some don't even bother to open at all for lunch, especially in the early part of the week.

You've just reminded me that several Norfolk pubs don't offer food on Monday or Tuesday evenings (usually one or the other - rarely both). I don't remember that being widespread elsewhere, so might be worth mentioning.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I didn't suggest it was unusual just that I wouldn't rely on finding one when I needed one. By comparison when i've been in Europe bakeries with a café can be found open from 7am in almost every village.

Early-opening small bakeries are more widespread, sure, but I've still been left looking for breakfast too long in some places without a bakery where a cafe didn't open until 9 and there was only an everything-in-plastic small supermarket opening at 8. I'd recommend scouting out where there might be breakfast the evening before and carry a few flapjacks and dried fruit just in case, even in Europe.

Or make your own - I always have coffee available at the very least and generally the makings of my preferred Frühstück. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
allyharp

Post by allyharp »

I find these straps to be excellent:
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sea_to_Summi ... oC5s7w_wcB

The metal buckle has a split opening, meaning they're very easy to quickly open without having to thread the whole lot through the buckle again. They are very long though, so if you don't want to cut them down you'll have to tuck them in or tie them up. On the plus side that means they make a good washing line, or alternatively you could attach one end to your bike and the other inside your tent as a security measure.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Interesting - I use the same make of straps, mine about 90 cm long. Very useful and adaptable.

Usually keep sleeping bag on top of the rack in a dry bag, held on with the straps. Also use as extra guy on the tent to move around the door opening. You can see what I mean in these two photos:

DSC06348.JPG

Helford Passage.

DSC06417.JPG
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:Degrees of comfort? I take the same whether it's for one night or twenty :- tent, s/bag, mat which all fit in one bag which leaves space for cooking gear, wash kit etc in the other bag. Is your tent really so big it won't go in a pannier maybe with poles strapped elsewhere? Keeps weight lower for stability....

I agree with this.
Once you're going overnight the sleeping kit is the same, and it happens to require a sizeable space in the bags.
Since you are not cooking you don't have the consumables of food -exception is the "emergency food" like oaty bars/dry fruit- and fuel for the stove, though you could use a woodburning stove 8)
The main change it can be due to the weather, if lots of rain and cold is on sight, it need one more baselayer or two, full waterproofs, overshoes, etc.
It's usually ok to keep something on top of the pannier rack, though the weight is a bit high it's well mitigated by the perfectly central position and solid connection (as long as you use good straps, I make my own with 20mm Poly webbing and ladderlocks)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:Thanks. I have something similar I think from my car camping days. There's another name/original brand name I think for those metal grippers?

Metal ones can be poor quality and crack, while good quality Acetale ones would require a few hundred Kg to break.
The ones sold by Profabrics are good, used many of them and hold well, think is impossible to break them in normal use. They're also very cheap, which makes the Q/P excellent.

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collection ... uckle-20mm
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Abr1966 wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies to my 2 previous posts on Touring in Norfolk and problems booking youth hostels!

Basically I'm still going to Norfolk but camping instead, so, a couple of questions!
- do people tend to book in advance or turn up?
- what degree of luxury for a 4-5 day your? I'm thinking of tent, sleeping mat and a bag, but not cooking gear as thinking I'll eat out and stop for breakfast etc
- I have ortlieb rear panniers and a handlebar bag and was just planning to put the tent and may on the rack with a couple of bungee cords?

This sound reasonable? I've ordered the cycling map of the area and was thinking I'd just try and charge my phone in pubs/cafe's when I'm not riding?!
Thanks for any guidance/comments!

Phone the local Tourist Board for advice - they can tell you

Personally I always book Weekends. Weddings can fill up an area very quickly including camp sites and some places have a rest day on Sundays so food and accommodation may be difficult in the local area.

Week days can be OK except (as above) in high season) when smaller popular sites can fill quickly
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Gattonero wrote:
Sweep wrote:Thanks. I have something similar I think from my car camping days. There's another name/original brand name I think for those metal grippers?

Metal ones can be poor quality and crack, while good quality Acetale ones would require a few hundred Kg to break.
The ones sold by Profabrics are good, used many of them and hold well, think is impossible to break them in normal use. They're also very cheap, which makes the Q/P excellent.

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collection ... uckle-20mm

I prefer Velcro "Cinch Straps" I find them lighter, more versatile and more secure

a 50 mm width also enables a better grip on items
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

No, Velcro straps are not more secure, under load they will open. The only way you can open a Ladderlock is to break it (good luck) or to put the webbing to an angle down (like leaving it on the apex of a corner/round part).
A 20mm ladderlock on quality webbing can easily hold 100kg, don't think a 20mm Velcro can do that, not even a 50mm one.

I would probably carry a lightweight tent with Velcro straps, though I'd rather use a webbing strap because it provides a full-length adjustment, so it can be useful in more situations.
Velcro's are good for lighter and smaller objects, or if many of them are used. And they are better than Ladderlocks when packing small and irregular diameter objects.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I quite like my Germanic bungees. Usual hooks, but 3 strands of black elasticated 'tagliatelle'. Heavier, but stable for tent, wet shoes, wet clothing and my solar panel.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I quite like my Germanic bungees. Usual hooks, but 3 strands of black elasticated 'tagliatelle'. Heavier, but stable for tent, wet shoes, wet clothing and my solar panel.

oh,this reminds me.... what was the brand of Dutch ones? I used to deal with those bikes, BITD, and some good quality like Azor, Batavus, Gazelle, etc. they would come with some good elastic bands for the rear rack. Perhaps overkill and limited in size for touring, but very good for the needs in town