Cycle touring in Sri Lanka

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
toontra

Cycle touring in Sri Lanka

Post by toontra »

Just back from a 3-week cycle tour of Sri Lanka. It's the most amazing place I've cycled so far - perfect road surfaces (on the main roads which don't get that much traffic), stunning scenery, friendly people, ridiculously cheap (£300 for 3 weeks including accommodation, food, tickets for national parks, buying clothing, etc).

The only slight hiccough was the heat/humidity which caught my friend out on the first couple of days. He suffered badly with hyperthermia and just couldn't turn the pedals - had to use public transport. He was fine eventually & managed to get up the steep hills by week 3.

Can't recommend it highly enough. A taste of what to expect: https://youtu.be/voAfvdM6T-o
spicerack

Re: Cycle touring in Sri Lanka

Post by spicerack »

It looks incredible, thanks for sharing. I'd be interested in your route if you have a map or list of destinations?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Looks good! I've never ridden in Sri Lanka but have visited and, having ridden in India and spent quite a bit of time there, Sri Lanka strikes me as how India would be if things worked properly! Plus much more orderly on the roads.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Looks good! I've never ridden in Sri Lanka but have visited and, having ridden in India and spent quite a bit of time there, Sri Lanka strikes me as how India would be if things worked properly! Plus much more orderly on the roads.

Couldn't agree more.
I was there last year for 30 days.
Only bad points were the very poor standard of driving and traffic polution.
Good points? Too many to list.
Great location. And scenery.
Check out my blog:
://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=18297&v=Pe

Yes, the heat can be a killer. Often I would start pre dawn. Nice and cool. Minimal traffic.

Most folk speak English. And appeared interested in me rather than my wallet.
Haggle of course. The first price is always high.
But there are some supermarkets with fully priced items.

I only saw 2 other cyclists touring.

Defo a place to return to.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
toontra

Post by toontra »

spicerack wrote:It looks incredible, thanks for sharing. I'd be interested in your route if you have a map or list of destinations?

Itinerary: Negombo / Anuradhapura / Dambulla / Polunnaruwa / Kalkudah / Batticaloa / Addalachenai / Arugam Bay / Buttala / Ella / Ohiya / Nuwara Eliya / Kandy / Negombo
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've been cycling in SL a few times, including 3 months in the last year or so. I agree that it is a good place to cycle and is one of the easiest of the longhaul tropical destination. I would put Thailand well above it in all respects, but nonetheless​ SL is a good starter.

I would recommend getting a guide book like the Lonely Planet one before going and planning a route which takes in what you want to see. SL is a relatively small island with culture, hill country and beach options. Apart from Sigiriya, I don't think any of the other ancient sites are world class, so I wouldn't recommend visiting more than one or two. Personally I like the north and east as they are much quieter, although these areas don't feature highly on the tourist circuit.

Avoid the capital Colombo and the SW coast down as far as Galle, both are busy and polluted.

One great advantage of SL is that you can easily get to the beach town of Negombo from the airport where there are plenty of budget hotels. Most will happily store a bike box if you stay for first and last night of your trip.

30 day electronic visas easily obtainable on line.
Plenty of snack stops as long as you like curry type stuff.

It's a great winter destination, go and enjoy.