Transamerica Route gpx - East to West with cues (have W - E)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gaz210

Transamerica Route gpx - East to West with cues (have W - E)

Post by Gaz210 »

Hi

Would anyone happen to have a gpx / RideWithGPS compatible file for the cross USA Adventure Cycling Association route going East to West

I have the West to East route but when I reverse it in Ride With GPS (which i am hoping to use as there is an app plus my mobile operator 3 just kindly opened up the US for roaming) I lose the "cues" and was hoping to have a file with any such markers for turns etc included.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you very much

This is the West to East route.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16506754

Gareth

PS
before you ask flights already booked :)
PJ520

Re: Transamerica Route gpx - East to West with cues (have W - E)

Post by PJ520 »

Have you looked into Adventure Cycling's TransAm Map Set Digital AFIK these can be used either direction. I've never used them myself, always used their paper maps which I find to be very good. The paper maps have a 'narrative' (cue sheet) for both directions and presumably the digital ones do to.

I did once try to go from Bergen south using directions for the opposite direction which were all I could find. A nightmare, every left a right & vice-versa, then what happens at T junctions going north and you are going south? I gave up in the end and caught a train. So I'd counsel against trying to use a cue sheet backwards. A few weeks ago I abandoned a Route 66 going west in New Mexico, day after day of 25-35 mph headwinds on the flat bits did it. If you're like me (geriatric) you might want to consider a plan B for Kansas/Eastern Colorado, mind you, the longest day we did on the Transam was going west into Pueblo CO. It would have been hell going the other way but it's marvelous having a wind like that behind you.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West