Sayalonga Area of Andalucia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mh6081

Sayalonga Area of Andalucia

Post by mh6081 »

Hi All, I am relatively new to the more serious side of road cycling and interested in seeking views of anyone with experience cycling around the Sayalonga area of Spain. Yes I know it will be hot in July/August, however I am thinking if I can get a few rides in early mornings for a couple of hours so wife & family aren't left alone too long. A couple of questions 1) Does anyone know of a cycle hire shop in the area to hire a decent road bike & 2) Obviously Sayalonga is in the hills, is it extremely hilly or are the some reasonable routes of 20-30 miles that are not all up the side of a mountain? ... I don't mind a bit of climbing (have Dinas Mawddwy coming up at end of month on a weekend away cycling to/from Wales) but not to the extent that I am permanently climbing. Any advice gratefully received..Cheers
ChrisF

Re: Sayalonga Area of Andalucia

Post by ChrisF »

I was in Andalucía in January last year; the nearest I got to Sayalonga was this ride https://www.strava.com/activities/475242625. Basically anywhere way from the coast is good riding, but it will be hilly. I doubt you'll find many 20-30 mile routes though, because there aren't that many roads. You'll see from the ride I did on that day that it was (after the nasty coastal bit) one long gentle climb followed by a long descent, but it was 70 miles. Ok in cool January but too far for an early morning ride in August.
For decent bike hire I suspect you'll need to go to Malaga. I can recommend the place I used http://www.bike2malaga.com/en/
Chris F, Cornwall
mh6081

Re: Sayalonga Area of Andalucia

Post by mh6081 »

Thanks Chris, going to get out there and take a bit of stuff with me and make a decision when out there when I can assess things. Yes looked at B2M and appears to be the best so will contact them once out there...