Flixbus - anybody used recently?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cheltourer

Flixbus - anybody used recently?

Post by Cheltourer »

Hello,
I have just found out about Flixbus and was wondering if any tourers had used them recently to know how they got on with them? I have previously used European Bike Express.
I have gone on to their website but when I made booking enquiries for any date and destination from London, it came up with "no slots available". I am getting back to them on this, but what concerns me the most is that is that they say there should be no “mountings” on the bike, what do they mean by this?
I intend to take my Ridgeback on their service and apart from what I used to do with Bike Express I would rather not dismantle any part of it. Also on the journey is the bike in the luggage compartment or rear mounted outside?
Advice and peoples experiences using Flixbus would be appreciated.
Thanks
foxyrider

Re: Flixbus - anybody used recently?

Post by foxyrider »

As I understand things atm, services from London are actually the pre existing Eurolines services that the owners (Nat X of Birmingham) refuse to allow bikes onto (I have taken a folder in a suitcase but that's cheating) with no bike facilities rather than the Green liveried Flixbus vehicles now seen across Europe.

When they say mountings they mean bags/baskets/childseats. Doesn't mean you can't take the bags just not hanging off the bike - put them in a cheap and light laundry bag.

Most actual Flixbus coaches have a rear mounted rack of some sort but a few will carry bikes inside the luggage area.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cheltourer

Post by Cheltourer »

Thanks Foxyrider, that is a great help!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

foxyrider wrote:As I understand things atm, services from London are actually the pre existing Eurolines services that the owners (Nat X of Birmingham) refuse to allow bikes onto (I have taken a folder in a suitcase but that's cheating) with no bike facilities rather than the Green liveried Flixbus vehicles now seen across Europe.

That's a bit disturbing. The website allows a bike to be booked at the same time as the passenger booking.
Could one turn up with a pre-booked bike and be refused carriage?
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I had the same issue of 'no slots available' when I looked at booking a couple of months ago. Be good to know how you get on with this for future reference.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
robjordan

Post by robjordan »

See my recent experiences with Flixbus here: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=115589