Hertfordshire to Harwich

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gregb

Hertfordshire to Harwich

Post by gregb »

Hi people

I'm off for a European jaunt next weekend. I'm getting the overnight ferry from Harwich and could do with any good tips or suggestions for a route from Hertfordshire to Harwich. I'll be starting from near Hertford and I'll be on a road bike so can't really do any trails or bridleways. Whilst I'd prefer naturally to avoid the main A roads I don't want to go round the houses too much as I've got some big distances to do once I get to Holland.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
mjr

Re: Hertfordshire to Harwich

Post by mjr »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114476 may help with the last bit but basically Route 51 is not a bad choice for the last bit.

http://cycle.travel/map?from=Hertford&t ... ernational looks reasonable to me - Route 61 east, then Route 1 east, then the old main road (now B1137) but I'd continue to Hatfield Peverel if it seemed OK, then Route 1 again (maybe avoid the rough track into Tiptree, too, continuing on to the next main road right) and Route 51 to finish.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

mjr wrote:https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114476 may help with the last bit but basically Route 51 is not a bad choice for the last bit...

I'll second that, Route 51 for that last stretch is fine for a road bike.
gregb

Post by gregb »

Thanks for the advice. I now have a nice 80 mile route mapped out. Cheers!
gregb

Post by gregb »

In case it helps anyone in future, here's a very brief and easy to follow list of directions from Hertford Heath to Harwich cut up into stages with mileage for each stage. It kept me right and was mostly low on traffic. I enjoyed it anyway. (O means roundabout and CR1/CR51 is National Cycle Route 1/51).

Hertford Heath to Harlow McD’s (10 miles)
1. Down London Road, straight over O, left at next O, first right into Rye Road.
2. Rye Road past Rye House Station to end and turn right
3. B181 past Roydon Station to O, left at O into Harlow Road
4. Straight all the way to McD’s

Harlow McDonalds to Moreton (7.5 miles)
1. Up alley just past B&Q on the right and left at the end. Follow route 1..
2. ….under A414. Right at end of Market Street, then first left into High Street
3. End of High Street straightish into Wayre Street, then bear left into New Road
4. New Road into Watlington Road, follow road round to right. End of Watlington Road turn left
5. Then left and immediate right into cycle path 1 (turns into Sheering Road)
6. Sheering Road -> Moor Hall Road -> Matching Road (over M11). Right towards Housham Tye
7. CR1 sign towards High Laver.
8. CR1 sign towards Moreton

Morton to Chelmsford (14 miles)
1. CR1 sign Left to Fyfield
2. CR1 sign Right to Church & Willingale
3. Sign Right to Willingale & Chelmsford
4. Sign Left to Radley Green & Writtle (then a Right sign?)
5. CR1 sign Left to Chelmsford
6. End of Chelmsford Road Left into Radley Green Road (Sign to Cooksmill Green)
7. CR1 sign Left
8. CR1 sign Left
9. Bear Right onto CR1 (off road), then follow to Chelmsford Central Park (centre)

Chelmsford to Wickham Bishops to reconnect with CR1 (12 miles)

1. Follow CR1 from park to meet up with A138 (A13) Currys/Halfords/TK Max
2. Follow A138 (cycle path) then take B1137 to Hatfield Peverel
3. Through town center, at O turn Right into Maldon Road
4. Past The Wheatsheaf then Left into Wickham Bishop Road (signposted Wickham Bishop)
5. Follow road to the end the Left and first Right.
6. Follow road through village and then lookout for CR1 signs.

Wickham Bishops to Colchster (15 miles)
1. Follow CR1, through Great Braxted, Tiptree, Smyths Green, Layer Breton, Layer De La Heye
2. Follow CR1 to Colchester

Colchester to Harwich International (19 miles)
1. From Colchester Center (Castle), take East Hill to East Street to Harwich Road
2. At O, take A133 out of Colchester towards Clacton
3. Pick up CR51 at just after Elmstead Market (turn left towards Harwich A120)
4. Follow Harwich Road (CR51) for a while
5. Bear Right onto Rectory Road, signposted Little Bentley
6. CR51 to Tendring Green, Great Oakley, Little Oakley
7. 1st O after Little Oakley, turn left, then right at next O (signposted Dovercourt Harwich)