Round The World in 18 Months

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Round The World in 18 Months

Post by mercalia »

"In praise of cycling (very slowly) around the world

Cycling the globe in 80 days may be a noble ambition, but doing it in 18 months – stopping to take in the views and talk to people along the way – is just as rewarding"

Follow Liz’s travels at halfashoestring.com - https://halfashoestring.com/

Her story
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/07/in-praise-of-cycling-very-slowly-around-the-world?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=229610&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
simonhill

Re: Round The World in 18 Months

Post by simonhill »

mercalia wrote:"In praise of cycling (very slowly) around the world

Cycling the globe in 80 days may be a noble ambition, but doing it in 18 months – stopping to take in the views and talk to people along the way – is just as rewarding"

I would say its much more rewarding.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

must admit I find the whole long distance at pace a strange idea. I know when I used to whip through a country in a few days and see next to nowt, it was less rewarding and more pandering to false gods.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

trilathon wrote:must admit I find the whole long distance at pace a strange idea. I know when I used to whip through a country in a few days and see next to nowt, it was less rewarding and more pandering to false gods.

I only wish I had that option :lol: slow is all I have now :lol: