Teruel to valencia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Teruel to valencia

Post by robing »

I am currently in teruel and need to get to valencia. The road route looks like one I have encountered in Spain before. An N road runs parallel to the motorway which is liable to run out for no reason. I see there is also a Via Verde (ojos negros) which goes all the way to Sagunto on the coast. Does anyone have any experience of this?
horizon

Re: Teruel to valencia

Post by horizon »

I did it in 2010. Brilliant in parts (tunnels and bridges etc). Wild camped along the way. Some parts might need determined route finding. Its length makes it worth doing. Last section is on (old) road to Segunt.
Last edited by horizon on 14 Jun 2017, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks. What's the surface like? Is it doable on a touring bike?
horizon

Post by horizon »

robing wrote:Thanks. What's the surface like? Is it doable on a touring bike?

It's an old railway path so similar to many of ours: part gravel, part tarmac and a part a bit rough but I don't remember any issues. I had 1.75 (IIRC) Marathon Cross on 26" wheels fully loaded. Like on all bike paths though, 26" is more maneouverable and better on gravel.

I take it you've checked out the website as things might have improved even more since then.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
robing

Post by robing »

Yes. I've got 700c wheels with marathons 32 mm should be ok. Replaced the rear just before the tour. I had to do about 10 miles on a stony bumpy track when the N road ran out and it was ok.
horizon

Post by horizon »

More thoughts (though others hopefully will chip in):

1. Whatever bike you use for railway paths in the UK will work on this one. It isn't like the Transandalus or even Sustrans routes where you have to drag your bike across rough ground.

2. Like all bike paths it can be either too crowded (I'm thinking of the section out of Teruel on a Sunday morning) or a little lonely at times as there is no other traffic. So a lot might depend on how you feel about railway paths generally.

3. It's some years ago that I did it so the memories are getting hazier but I don't remember any issue over supplies and replenishment but it is something to bear in mind. AFAIK the line was a minerals line and doesn't seem to seek out centres of population although there are a few little disused stations on it so I am not quite sure about that one.
robing

Post by robing »

I'll probably take the N road to Barraques as it seems to go that far. There is a campsite near there. Then I will take the via Verde to Sagunto.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've just realised that you're actually there already so good luck and do report back!
robing

Post by robing »

In the end I bottled out and stuck to the roads! Teruel to Barraques was fine, then the next section to Viver was tricky but I found a really nice alternative route on a very quiet windy road. I stayed at an almost deserted campsite then the next day picked up the via Verde for a short way. But as needed to get to valencia for the night ferry to majorca I decided to stick with the road and it was fine. Now having a few days RnR with friends on Mallorca before continuing from Barcelona.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks for the update! Glad it turned out well.