Am I forgetting anything?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Am I forgetting anything?

Post by honesty »

Off camping for a week soon and just going through my packing list to make sure I have everything and not carrying too much weight (currently seems to be about 15kg (now) including food and water), but am I forgetting anything important?

(Edited to match current packing)
In no particular order:
camera
cheque book
Snacks
wallet
keys
phone
tablet
headphones
Train Tickets
Lights
Garmin
3x cycling tops
1x t-shirt
1x boxers
3x padded boxers
3x shorts
3x socks
towel
first aid kit
toiletries
cycling shoes
4x cables (watch, usb mini, usb micro,usb-c)
WP jacket
WP shorts
WP overshoes
WP Cap
Puncture repair kit
2x inner tubes
tools
tyre levers
charger
Power Pack
Loo roll
Cap
trainers
jumper
Stove
pots
cutlery
Plates/etc
Tent
Sleeping bag
Mattress
washing up liquid
Tea Towel
Pocket knife
Sponge
Gas
300ml flask
500ml flask
Water bottle
Pillow
Last edited by honesty on 19 Jun 2017, 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
tatanab

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

Post by tatanab »

For my taste that is a heck of a lot of stuff to take for a week at this time of year. About twice what I would take. Certainly I would reduce the clothing by half or more, but we all have to learn our particular comfort levels. I would certainly replace the speaker by headphones since I get quite aggravated by campers broadcasting their lack of taste even at what they call low volume.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Where are you going? Looks like a lot of bike clothes to me. I'd be planning on only two sets of bike wear and washing one set each night. Do you really need speakers and headphones? Do you really need two flasks and a water bottle? Two pillows may be over the top. I just stuff clothes into a stuff sack and use that. I'd cut down on the cables by taking just one plus set set of adaptors for the other types. You may have it but I'd be taking sun tan cream and a helmet. I find that cheap morrisons show gel doubles up as stuff to wash clothes and pots with. Always worth having a few plastic bags for rubbish and food shopping. I find that having some sort of water bladder can be very useful especially if wild camping so you can fill it up late in the day before heading to find a spot. Id be tempted to split things like your tent into poles, fly, inner, pegs on your list as it is easy to forget one of them, especially if like me you pack them separately.

Personally I'd never camp without my chair conversion kit for my sleeping mat, my extra luxury! Make sure you keep track of what you don't use and leave it behind next time!

Oh and it may be worth having a trial run somewhere close to home for a night to check your list.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I usually carry 3 X cycling shorts, 1 pair of normal underwear, and one pair of long fast drying / shower proof golf trousers. One pair of my cycling shorts are MTB baggies, so they and the golf trousers can both be worn on or off the bike.

It seems odd to me that there are 6 pairs of boxers, 2 pairs of shorts and a jumpers, but no long trousers of any sort? What if it gets cold?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Far too much clothing.
Rug?
Cheque book?
Tea towel?
Washing up liquid?
2 pillows?
honesty

Post by honesty »

The 2 normal boxers are for the nights really. I could easily reduce to 1 there. Same with the normal t-shirts.

I don't like wearing cycling tops for more than 2 days, so 6 days requires 3 tops. I dont like washing clothes on the move either. Ive had problems drying them in the past. I usually then store a complete set of clothes in a plastic bag so it I get completely soaked I have dry clothing. Given it looks like it's dry I may leave those behind which would remove 1 padded boxer, a pair of socks and a cycling top.

I haven't taken the speaker before and have stuck to headphones. I was thinking it may be nice in the evening, but am not adverse to leaving it really. Same with the travel rug. I was thinking as a nice dry place to sit outside without having to take a stool, but it's not something I have taken previously (just sat on an empty rucksack when walking...)

Water bottle is a 64oz kleen kanteen and will be used to top up my cycling bottle throughout the day. One flask is a must (it has coffee in it) and the 500ml one was my plan for keeping milk cold (I cant stand UHT milk).

As for trousers, I thought about it, and may wear a pair up instead of shorts on the train. I havent decided on that yet.

Tea towel is a micro fleece thingy. Weighs nothing.

2 vango pillows. Because I have them. Could easily drop to one... but they both stuff into the same stuff sack.

Cheque book is needed to pay for things. I forget cash!
honesty

Post by honesty »

OK Lose:
1 set boxers
1 set padded boxers
1 cycling top
1 t-shirt
1 pair socks
rug
speaker

what else?

Edit: checked the weight of the pillows. I will be leaving 1 behind! Blimey I thought it wasn't that bad... turns out to be almost half a kilo...
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Lots of places won't accept cheques for payment these days.
honesty

Post by honesty »

rualexander wrote:Lots of places won't accept cheques for payment these days.

Ive been specifically told by one of the sites that they only accept cheque. I take it as a backup as I've been stuffed in the past by not having enough cash on me and a place not taking an order below 10 quid.
honesty

Post by honesty »

On the clothes, it's actually the same amount I took last year and it worked well but I was in b&b's with the luxury of pennies space... this year I need to cut weight!

My usual plan is a cycle top, padded boxers, socks and short for 2 days with a change to regular boxers and a t-shirt for the evenings/nights that last for 3 days. This way i never wore anything too manky and didn't have to do any washing either.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

honesty wrote:
rualexander wrote:Lots of places won't accept cheques for payment these days.

Ive been specifically told by one of the sites that they only accept cheque. I take it as a backup as I've been stuffed in the past by not having enough cash on me and a place not taking an order below 10 quid.

I thought this cheques were going to be phased out soon. Just like cash? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Rather than say what I would leave behind (there's lots) I'll answer the question.
A book.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

And a hip flask.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cash and visa card, no cheque book.
ditch some of the clothes, and wash through.
Pillows? Whats wrong with your jumper folded up as a pillow?
Rug to sit out? Just use your camp mat.
Waterproof shorts? no just ordinary ones. So they can be ditched.

Agree with taking a book.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

matches and/or lighter to light stove.