Am I forgetting anything?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

Post by honesty »

Ebook on tablet :)
Piezo lighter on the stove
I used clothes in the sleeping stuff sack for years. I can't sleep like that any more. A pillow is a luxury, but I like it.
If I had a roll mat I'd use that outside, but it's an inflatable one and don't know anything about its durability (it's new).

Took the stuff out I listed earlier and total weight is down 2kg :)
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

ear plugs ?
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
honesty

Post by honesty »

trilathon wrote:ear plugs ?

I've shared a tent with my dad and been able to sleep. Given he kept a whole ski chalet away (and not a small one) I don't think I'll have a problem ;)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I hope the piezo lighter on your stove is better than the one on mine (a Primus ETA), it it is anything like mine I'd be packing a lighter!

I've already mentioned the sun tan lotion, depending on your destination I might add some sort of midge repellent and possibly a midge net!

Depending on the type of stove, you may want a wind shield and possibly something to stand it on so it does not damage the grass.

Personally I'd ditch the tablet and take a kindle (much easier to read in bright light and the battery lasts for weeks at a time). My phone does most things that I'd use a tablet for.
honesty

Post by honesty »

gloomyandy wrote:I hope the piezo lighter on your stove is better than the one on mine (a Primus ETA), it it is anything like mine I'd be packing a lighter!

I've already mentioned the sun tan lotion, depending on your destination I might add some sort of midge repellent and possibly a midge net!

Depending on the type of stove, you may want a wind shield and possibly something to stand it on so it does not damage the grass.

Personally I'd ditch the tablet and take a kindle (much easier to read in bright light and the battery lasts for weeks at a time). My phone does most things that I'd use a tablet for.

Sun cream and midge spray already in my toiletries. I get bitten to help if I'm not covered...

I am still deciding on my Kobo or tablet. The tablet has the advantage of being able to download and watch films on the train though.

Stand off the stove is a good idea. I have feet for the canister :)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I'd ditch a lot of the clothes and all of the electrics.
honesty

Post by honesty »

mattsccm wrote:I'd ditch a lot of the clothes and all of the electrics.

I think electrics are personal taste. I need my Garmin for direction and my phone for emergencies, which just leaves the tablet/ebook reader.

For clothes though, without taking something to wash clothes with I'm not sure how I could pair it back further, and I don't want to wash clothes on the go.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Soap - you can reduce the bulk and varieties carried by using a concentrated liquid soap such as http://www.drbronner.co.uk/departments/ ... eptid=PCLS A couple of drops is all that is needed to wash hair or take a shower. The same soap can be used for washing dishes or clothes. I am told it can be used in place of toothpaste, but I've not tried that. Obviously you would not need to take a whole container for a single week. Any liquid can, perhaps should be decanted into smaller containers. To start with, buy small sizes such as available on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/travel-toothpaste with care these small tubes can be refilled. I also buy shampoo sachets through ebay because I sometimes like a change from the concentrated soap. There is a company that sells small sized shower gels etc, the name looks rude so gets highlighted by the browser, I just cannot remember what it is, but this is where I bought very small size items which then get refilled when needed.

My typical summer tour is 4 weeks, and apart from a bit more soap etc I take no more clothing etc than I would for a week (around half of what you propose), but I am happy enough washing clothing by hand.

Editted - found the link for small size toiletries https://www.gotiny.co.uk/travel-size-to ... der-100ml/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Pack everything you think you're taking, load up, ride to friends place and make camp. have a cuppa, put your bedding out. You'll know now what you forgot - a mallet perhaps, the kettle. Pack up and go home and find the missing stuff.

I do this every year before any trip where i'm away for more than a couple of nights. Even when you think you've got everything there's always something!

As for clothes, well take what you think and adjust for next time. Some things like rain jacket go whatever but you might adjust gloves, socks, etc to suit destination/time of year. I do think you have rather a lot of clothing there, heavy stuff. I get a little extreme cutting out labels and even going as far as weighing knickers and socks! Sounds daft but a pair of boxers compared to budgie smugglers can be a lot of weight and bulk difference which all adds up. My lightweight underkeks are reserved for cycling trips. I use zip off walking trousers which I can use as extra shorts, weigh little and dry quickly. My one luxury is a lightweight fleece - extra layer at night if needed but something when worn with the zip offs that doesn't scream cyclist on the campsite or waking along to the pub!

I've not had a cheque book for 20 years or more, just take the cash in an envelope for that stop. I manage to sort stuff out with cash or card all over Europe without any problems. Many places that claim to want cash will actually take cards when you get there. I try to carry enough for a couple of days at a time, there are plenty of atm's about these days even in quite remote areas.

On electrics, i've got down to my phone on which I can write, do internet - even make phone calls! In the past i've had ipods, radios, tablets etc but less really can be more.

As long as you are careful most inflatable mats are up to sitting out on. My experience of camp pillows is quite negative so i've dumped mine and cope with a bag of clothing.

Bleh, hope that helps!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
honesty

Post by honesty »

I'm really surprised on the clothing side. Three full sets of clothing and a night time set seems like an absolute minimum to me for a week of sweaty activity. I may have gone down to 2 when I was a teen/twenty something but now I don't like emptying cafes with my odour! Then again I am cursed with profuse amounts of sweating and 2 days in the same top means it can stand up by itself... ;)
ossie

Post by ossie »

tim_f wrote:matches and/or lighter to light stove.

This

Likewise a corkscrew if you are going anywhere near France .

If you're happy with the weight just take whatever you like that meets your personal criteria. I'm off to France next week so am going for through the same process again but despite numerous tours my touring weight for a week is the same as 4 weeks, its all roughly 16kg inc tent with spare capacity for food.

My one luxury item this year is a fold up chair at 900g...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

....................and we don't even know where he is going. How can you offer advice?

Assuming it is in the UK, I can't believe he isn't taking an eye shield. I was camping last weekend and it didn't get dark till after 10pm and it was light around 4am. Even less night time if up north.

By the way, I agree that the the amount of clothing does seem a bit excessive. One of those funny things that people on short tours often take more than people on long tours.

Enjoy,
honesty

Post by honesty »

simonhill wrote:....................and we don't even know where he is going. How can you offer advice?

Assuming it is in the UK, I can't believe he isn't taking an eye shield. I was camping last weekend and it didn't get dark till after 10pm and it was light around 4am. Even less night time if up north.

By the way, I agree that the the amount of clothing does seem a bit excessive. One of those funny things that people on short tours often take more than people on long tours.

Enjoy,

Pennine cycleway.

Never had a problem with light in tents, but can see the benefit for people who do.

I think I'd take exactly the same amount of clothes for a month's tour as for a week's, but I don't see the benefit of reducing further. I can't actually see how either unless you end up washing tops every other day.

Out of interest what clothes do people take then?
John-D

Post by John-D »

I'm setting off shortly to France. I agree about too many clothes but that's down to your aversion to washing them. Overcome that and you'll have it cracked! I find it no problem especially in France at this time of the year. Even if it doesn't dry overnight it will in a string bag on the bike.

Having said that I'm probably going to be carrying more than you, eg 2 gas stoves, although for once I've not weighed it as I've planned a fairly flat route.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using hovercraft full of eels.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

honesty wrote:Out of interest what clothes do people take then?
For June/July in France or thereabouts on a 4 week(ish) tour -
2 pairs of lightweight socks (1 on 1 off)
2 short sleeved cycling tops (1 on 1 off)
2 pairs of shorts, 1 old touring shorts, 1 very light "racing shorts"
1 lightly padded undies for touring shorts.
1 general underpants
1 pair leg warmers - in case
1 pair light arm warmers - in case, but also for use under a waterproof jacket to prevent it clinging to my arms, possibly also as sun protection.
Silk long sleeved top and long johns, double as pyjamas or thermal undies if really needed.
1 long sleeved cycling jacket.
1 cycling cap.
1 pair cycling shoes on my feet

Of course there are waterproofs too, but that is a given.

Usually, but not always I add some "people clothes"-
A pair of Rohan or similar trousers.
An ancient Rohan shirt.
A pair of moccasin/deck shoe type low bulk shoes.

All of that (including the "people" clothes) takes up about 1/2 to 3/4 of a Campers Longflap saddlebag. Note this is a clothing list only.