London to Santiago de Compostella

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
aversigny

London to Santiago de Compostella

Post by aversigny »

Hi,

I am Anthony, Dutch native, living in London. I am planning to cycle to Santiago de Compostella, not just a camino, but all the way from London. Has anybody experience with such a trip. thanks Anthony
willem jongman

Re: London to Santiago de Compostella

Post by willem jongman »

This is a Dutch route guide, originating in Holland, of course: https://www.europafietsers.nl/fietsrout ... fietsroute The first part until the Pyrenees is quite flat, after that it gets more challenging. You could crioss at Dover, of course, and then find your own way to pick up the route, but you can also take the ferry at Harwich/Hook of Holland. A more easterly route would be more interesting in my view (we will do a largish chunck of it this summer): https://www.europafietsers.nl/fietsrout ... rimssteden For the Spaninsh part you would need to use the first route that I linked to.
Enjoy.
yutkoxpo

Re: London to Santiago de Compostella

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi Anthony,
I did that trip from my front door (in Nord Brabant) all the way to Santiago and on to Finisterre (Eventually!) a few years ago.

I did not follow the "traditional route" through France - instead I cycled as far as Paris, from Paris to almost Roscoff and followed the Velodyssey route down the west coast of France.

(If you do go to Paris, get a stamp for your Credencia at Notre Dame - My experience involved priests with walkie talkies and secret doors opening!)

I met several people doing their own Camino all down the coast.

From Bayonne, I headed for St. Jean and followed the Camino Frances from there.

I don't know if you want to follow the walker's route or follow the roads. If you do want to follow the walker's route, there are some very difficult parts - expect to do a lot of pushing! Also, make sure you have a bell - and use it! Otherwise you will become the enemy of all! :-)

Remember, that on a bike, it's more difficult to make the connection with people who are moving at a fraction of the pace of you.

I returned along the Northern Spanish coast and met pelegrinos following the Camino del Norte - another alternative option for you.

If you are doing the Frances route, remember that from Sarria it gets very busy with people joining for the last 100 km. Very busy! I took to laying low in the forest in the daytime with some food and a good book, then in the early evening I had the paths to myself.

Some of the Albergues have a policy of only admitting cyclists later in the day to ensure that all walkers can get a bed.... but I never had an issue.

There's a Camino de Santiago forum that will have lots of info on the Camino itself.

Buen Camino!

Frank