Cycle-friendly hotel in Saint Malo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bohrsatom

Cycle-friendly hotel in Saint Malo

Post by bohrsatom »

Spurred on by bretonbike's wonderful descriptions of cycling in Brittany I will be heading there for a week-long tour in early July.

Our ferry arrives in Saint Malo at around 9pm so I can't be faffed with camping and would prefer to find a hotel instead. Somewhere secure to keep the bikes is a priority - a thread from a few years ago suggested Hotel de la Porte Saint Pierre, just wondering if this is still a good option or if there are any other suggestions?
al_yrpal

Re: Cycle-friendly hotel in Saint Malo

Post by al_yrpal »

There's an Ibis.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
climo

Post by climo »

We stayed in the Hotel Bristol (might be Bristol + another word) last month. Right in the old city so cute. Easy distance of the ferry. Booking.com for £60 per couple weekday, breakfast extra. Big strong manager who sounded just like Arnie in Terminator just grabbed our bikes and put them in his cellar which as I had a busted finger was good of him. Decent room.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

al_yrpal wrote:There's an Ibis.

Heading off on a tangent, but I always used to choose Ibis due to the relative cycle-friendliness however I had a terrible experience at my last stay in Koblenz, Germany. The manager flat out refused to store the bikes inside - the only space they would offer was a public carpark with nothing to chain them to. In the end they relented and let us bring them to our room.

Will keep this in mind but hoping for somewhere in the city walls with a bit of character!
1gunsalute

Post by 1gunsalute »

Last year we stayed in the Escale Oceania, about 1km east of the old town. Nice big garage plenty of room.
Bez

Post by Bez »

How's your French?

I don't think I've ever found a French hotel that hasn't managed to provide somewhere acceptable to store a bike: either in a room somewhere or in their garage or locked up behind the kitchen or something (I generally take a couple of small ski locks). But in France a bit of the local tongue goes a long way (madame) and if you don't speak a word then you may have less luck.

I'd suggest finding somewhere you like the look of and dropping them a line by email (use Google Translate if you need to). The old city is pretty cramped so not everywhere will have space, but if you ask you should be able to find somewhere.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Bez wrote:How's your French?

My french is fine - generally my experience has been the same as yours, although we do try and avoid small hotels in city centres as they are less likely to have somewhere to store the bikes. This time around I was hoping to get somewhere in central Saint Malo, but if we have to walk a bit it's not the end of the world.
ossie

Post by ossie »

If no joy the campsite is a 5 minute cycle away from the port, along the prom..

:wink:
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

All sorted now - to conclude:

Hotel de la Porte Sainte Pierre - never bothered to reply my email :roll:
Hotel Bristol Union - same as above
Ibis Styles St Malo Centre Historique - Do take bikes but charge €12 per bike per night
Hotel San Pedro - Took time to reply to my email, do take bikes and will store them free of charge

Success! :mrgreen:
ossie

Post by ossie »

al_yrpal wrote:There's an Ibis.

Al

Glad the OP is sorted but for the info of anyone else who may be looking for accommodation in St Malo for whatever reason.

I've just finished a tour in France and due to a ferry cancellation was put up in the Ibis Styles St Malo Port for free,which was a bonus after suffering the recent bad weather there under canvas. A 10 minute walk from the old town and 2 minute cycle to the ferry terminal. Very bike friendly, clean, modern, breakfast included and more importantly they let me put my fully loaded bike in the room. The lift was big enough to take the bike, panniers and all as well .

They also have a garage.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

1 further and final update!

It turns out that the nearest campsite to St Malo, the cite d'alet, is no longer a campsite and instead has refocused on campervans only. I must caveat this by saying we never went to the site, but reading various reviews online was enough to stop us from trying (see the Trip Advisor reviews as an example).

Although there are some campsites further out, we wanted to be close to the town so also stayed in the Ibis Styles St Malo Port. It turned out to be the only available room in the city as the French were out in force due to it being Bastille Day weekend. As ossie said the hotel is a little outside the centre (but still close) and caters well for cyclists. Our bikes were kept in the downstairs garage for no additional charge.

Btw we also had no problems at our first night's stay at San Pedro hotel. Bikes were kept in a spacious garage just around the corner from the hotel.