Cycle hire in the Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Rob Archer

Cycle hire in the Netherlands

Post by Rob Archer »

We're planning a family holiday in the Netherlands staying at Putten, near Amersfoort. It's not really a cycling holiday and we'll be travelling around mostly by train but we'd like to a couple of days out by bike. Has anyone here any experience of hiring a bike (costs, ease, etc)? I'm particularly interested in the OV-Fiets bikes from rail stations as they look very good value for money. My main reservation is how small do they go? My youngest is a slightly talker than average 10 year old.
orangebiker

Re: Cycle hire in the Netherlands

Post by orangebiker »

I think the OV fietsen only come in adult sizes, but a ten year old is probably big enough to ride one with the saddle down - you see loads of dutch children riding round on adult sized bikes

I only hired a bike in Holland once and it was very cheap and easy - booked in advance though. Hire bikes tend to be heavy and sturdy and fully equipped with mudguard, basket, lock, stand, bell, lights, etc etc
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Are you staying in a hotel? Most hotels and hostels, and even B&Bs and campgrounds there have bikes for their customers to use at no, or minimal fees. Not all have child-sized bikes, but some do have folders or other small wheeled bikes that can often be used by larger children. I would ask the place you are staying first. If they don't have bikes, they will certainly know where nearby to hire them.

OV Fietsen don't have easily adjustable handlebars, so unless your child is very large, I think they will be uncomfortable or unwieldy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Google fietsverhuur Putten and you will find four bike shops with rental bikes, apart from the OV fiets system. So no need to worry.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

willem jongman wrote:Google fietsverhuur Putten and you will find four bike shops with rental bikes, apart from the OV fiets system. So no need to worry.

But remember it's an area where Sunday closing is taken seriously ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed, and that includes shops, restaurants and everything else apart from church.