100% water proof/frame/seat pack

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thelawnet

100% water proof/frame/seat pack

Post by thelawnet »

Any recommendations? I need something that will:

* withstand hours of torrential tropical rain (so no zips)
* attach directly to frame/bars/seatpost no racks
* not move around when descending on rocky offroad descents, or otherwise be annoying
* hold say, a change of clothes,camera, a phone charger, etc. (but not a tent or something)
* not cost a fortune (so not £120)

Possibly two separate pieces of luggage, one around the 1-2 litre range for short journeys to the shops so to speak with access while riding, and a larger one for longer distances?
Gattonero

Re: 100% water proof/frame/seat pack

Post by Gattonero »

You may look at several big brands that are doing "bikepacking" bags, then add a drybag inside. This looks to me the easiest and cheapest option.
The bags from Lomo seem to get good reviews, prices are good, though they do not seem to have particularly large models for cycling, unless using a proper rack
http://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088. ... html#a1117

Otherwise, the new "bikepacking" bags from Ortlieb are fantastic, saw them in the flesh are really really good. the price goes accordingly.
Apidura makes a welded-seams type, too.

But since you are not carrying a lot of stuff, I'd go for any decent bike bag and put a plastic bag inside!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
hodge

Post by hodge »

Alpkit's 'Rando' series has welded seams with (when used) weatherproof zips with weather shields.
I don't own any of this series (it's fairly new) but bits I do have made by them ( a top tube bag and a 13l tapered dry bag) are well made and fit for purpose.

https://www.alpkit.com/bike-luggage
Last edited by hodge on 3 Jul 2017, 12:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read about a man who swims 2 km to work in the river Isar in Muenchen. He takes his computer and clothes in a bag called a Wickelfisch, you could try googling that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

FWIW, my Carraddice bags, made out of humble waxed cotton, always kept my contents dry even after being a couple of hours under heavy rain. And so can tell any other user of waxed duck cotton stuff.
Surely, zips can leak but most bags have a flat over them so if you have a waterproof zip with a flap over it, there's no chance for rain to go trough.

Then if you want to swim with your bag, there's those bags made for Kayaks. A different story, and if you ask me, the bag contents may be dry but you will be completely soaked, so what's the point? :?:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

ibera do a full triangle bag for short of 18 quid. its made from waterproof vinyl stuff but not seam sealed so you can paint it with a silicone sealer or use some little exped drybags to pack it out. I haven't had mine in enough rain to test it.

http://www.ibera.info/products_detail.php?cID=10&Key=57

there's some smaller lotus ones that look to be quite tidy and keep bottle cages clear.