Bay Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rmurphy195

Bay Way

Post by rmurphy195 »

If I can make the opportunity (among babysitting all the new grandchildren that keep arriving!) I have a sneaky ambition to ride the (Morecambe) Bay Way.

If I can get my wife to agree, I may be able to park the carvan somewhere along the route, then do it in sections - e.g. maybe 20 miles to point x and back, then on day 2 train to point X then 20 miles to point Y and back, or even if I get fed up just do each section one-way and get transport back.

Anyone done it this way and can suggest where I look for trains etc. - and of course the obvious question, limitations for bikes on trains and all that stuff.

Any info or pointers to info would be welcome (including caravan site preferably in walking distance to a nice part of the route!)

Thanks - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
geocycle

Re: Bay Way

Post by geocycle »

Its a nice route, not many hills and some lovely countryside. For caravan sites I suggest looking in the Arnside or Silverdale area. The route follows the barrow to Lancaster line with frequent stops if you want to do sections. No need to book on the northern rail services, sometimes you need on the TPE trains.
awparker

Post by awparker »

I too can recommend this route which I did (partly) earlier this year. It is mapped and signed as NCN 700 and Sustrans(?) produces a useful map, though as ever OS maps show more off-route detail.

From Leeds I caught the Northern train to Carnforth with a very quick change onwards to Barrow in Furness. I cycled out to the Start on Walney Island though I could not a find a formal marker. Turning back through Barrow it proved a little difficult to find the exact route as some signs seemed to be missing but there are plenty of alternatives round the docks. Once out of the town towards Rampside way finding is much easier.

The first night I booked a B and B in Ulverston and spend some time the next morning at the Laurel and Hardy museum which is well worth a nostalgic visit and then on to another B and B in Grange over Sands. Time on the way was spent at Cartmel Abbey but beware the village toilets have been closed by the local authority

Next day was somewhat wet but I made good use of the Witherslack Community Cafe which is on the route just after crossing the A790. It is marked on the Bay Route map but had variable opening hours. Do check first if you can! The route finding near Levens gets tricky - take care. After this it is a flat run to Arnside though I understand the route near Storth may flood at very high tides.

My third and last night was at Arnside Hostel - no longer in the YHA but no major changes except that it does not open until 5:30 pm.

I had intended to spend the next morning at Leighton Moss RSPB site but it was pouring with rain which was forecast to last all day so I caught and earlier train back to Leeds, this time changing at Lancaster. As a previous poster has said you do not need to book bikes on Northern trains and I personally have always found their staff very helpful towards cyclists.

Later this summer I hope to do the southern end by taking the train from Leeds to Heysham and cycling back up the banks of the River Lune towards Morecambe. Again there is a tidal ford at Sunderland. All being well I shall then get to Leighton Moss the next day.

Hope this helps

Alan
pal

Post by pal »

I did this in one (long!) day earlier this summer: it's a great ride, and I'd like to go back and take more time to see the sights along the way. +1 for all the comments about the trains: Northern Rail are very laid-back about bikes, so hopping on and off along the route shouldn't be a problem. (Transpennine can be a bit more hit and miss, not because they bother too much about reservations, but just because their trains can get quite full, and the bike spaces are quite regularly piled up with suitcases; but again, if there's physical room for a bike then they're usually fine about letting you on, in my experience.)

There's a nice cafe/bakery in Greenodd: very slightly off the route (turn left at the bottom of the hill, rather than carrying straight on down to the cycle path), but worth the small detour for an Emergency Refill of lemon drizzle cake and/or sausage roll, imho! And the Cafe d'Lune, almost at the very southern end of the route (just before Glasson Dock, s. of Lancaster), is always worth a stop too.

The cycle.travel write-up of the route is useful (incl. for accommodation listings): https://cycle.travel/route/bay_cycle_way/guide
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rmurphy195 wrote:If I can make the opportunity (among babysitting all the new grandchildren that keep arriving!) I have a sneaky ambition to ride the (Morecambe) Bay Way.

If I can get my wife to agree, I may be able to park the carvan somewhere along the route, then do it in sections - e.g. maybe 20 miles to point x and back, then on day 2 train to point X then 20 miles to point Y and back, or even if I get fed up just do each section one-way and get transport back.

Anyone done it this way and can suggest where I look for trains etc. - and of course the obvious question, limitations for bikes on trains and all that stuff.

Any info or pointers to info would be welcome (including caravan site preferably in walking distance to a nice part of the route!)

Thanks - Richard

you intend to take your wife with you? can she drive ( the caravan ) then get her to do so no having to cycle back each time?
RickH

Post by RickH »

geocycle wrote:Its a nice route, not many hills and some lovely countryside. For caravan sites I suggest looking in the Arnside or Silverdale area. The route follows the barrow to Lancaster line with frequent stops if you want to do sections. No need to book on the northern rail services, sometimes you need on the TPE trains.

My site of choice in the SIlverdale area is Gibraltar Farm, a nice friendly, quiet site overlooking the bay. I cycle-camped there as well as going by car with the trailer tent (several times of each mode).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Leighton moss cafe is good but don't forget to ask for cyclist discount. If you get there by any means other than your own car they give a 10% discount on the excellent food.

Near Arnside there is a few cafes. The ramblers in Arnside is very.good, their vegetable soup is a meal it's so filling. There's a campsite or caravan site out past the youth hostel along what looks like a private driveway towards a kind of tidal area. The cafe there is excellent and the child's playground there is one of the best I've seen in the area (parent of young child, it's a thing I keep an eye out for).

Wolf house gallery has a cafe that's very good too. It's near Silverdale and Gibraltar farm.campsite. it does good veggie dishes too IIRC.

Check out the old pub in Silverdale high street. It's a kind of cafe/restaurant with a hint of pub about it. Pretty good cakes when I last went there.

Now I have no idea of the route but coming from the area and cycling there I know the cafe options. I know from my cycling that cafe's can only improve a ride so in think it's worth passing a few favourites on. Enjoy! :D
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks all - there's some useful - and encouraging - information here. Will follow-upon the caravan site ideas and definitely the cafe and pub suggestions :D

All I have to do now is tear the other half away from the grandchildren (no mean feat) and persuade her that relaxing on a campsite while I wizz off for a few half-days is a good idea...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !